Help with Cactus V5 wireless flash setup...

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I should be able to use a Cactus unit on my 500D hotshoe (w/o a flash on it), set it as my transmitter, and then have two receivers, right? So I'm triggering two 580's with one transmitter.

I can only get one flash to fire. When I press the little "test" button on the transmitter, both of the receivers light up green, so they are all talking. All of them are on channel 1. I can press the "pilot" button and get the non-working one to fire, so it's not a battery issue or anything.

Any help?

weird...

Have you tried a sync cable from the cactus to the 580 instead of the hotshoe? Also, maybe try a different channel?

weird...

Have you tried a sync cable from the cactus to the 580 instead of the hotshoe? Also, maybe try a different channel?

So I just did some swapping of units and swapping of flashes... if my diagnosis is correct, the new single unit I just got in the mail (I already had the "Duo" - 2 units) only wants to act as a transmitter. When I put this new unit on the camera, it will trigger both flashes, but if I try to put it under a flash and switch it to receiver - no go.

I'll try turning everything to a different channel. It'll be a bummer if I got a lemon, but with shipping to China, it would probably be better just to put a label on that unit that says "Transmitter" and always use it as such.

Weird is right....

I wouldn't be too surprised. That's why these things are 1/4 the price of things like Pocket Wizards & Cyber Syncs.

I wouldn't be too surprised. That's why these things are 1/4 the price of things like Pocket Wizards & Cyber Syncs.

^^^^that. Any cheaper than these and you'll be using the light from the friggin' pop-up. I've had zero issues with my pocketwizards (other than they hurt my pockets!)

Just wondering, did you try the new unit with new batteries? Just in case.

Any cheaper than these and you'll be using the light from the friggin' pop-up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back