Help with Cactus V5 wireless flash setup...

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by splproductions, Mar 20, 2012.

1. splproductions

splproductions TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I should be able to use a Cactus unit on my 500D hotshoe (w/o a flash on it), set it as my transmitter, and then have two receivers, right? So I'm triggering two 580's with one transmitter.

I can only get one flash to fire. When I press the little "test" button on the transmitter, both of the receivers light up green, so they are all talking. All of them are on channel 1. I can press the "pilot" button and get the non-working one to fire, so it's not a battery issue or anything.

Any help?

2. analog.universe

analog.universe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    weird...

Have you tried a sync cable from the cactus to the 580 instead of the hotshoe? Also, maybe try a different channel?

3. splproductions

splproductions TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So I just did some swapping of units and swapping of flashes... if my diagnosis is correct, the new single unit I just got in the mail (I already had the "Duo" - 2 units) only wants to act as a transmitter. When I put this new unit on the camera, it will trigger both flashes, but if I try to put it under a flash and switch it to receiver - no go.

I'll try turning everything to a different channel. It'll be a bummer if I got a lemon, but with shipping to China, it would probably be better just to put a label on that unit that says "Transmitter" and always use it as such.

Weird is right....

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't be too surprised. That's why these things are 1/4 the price of things like Pocket Wizards & Cyber Syncs.

5. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

^^^^that. Any cheaper than these and you'll be using the light from the friggin' pop-up. I've had zero issues with my pocketwizards (other than they hurt my pockets!)

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Just wondering, did you try the new unit with new batteries? Just in case.

7. Edward74

Edward74 TPF Noob!

Any cheaper than these and you'll be using the light from the friggin' pop-up.[​IMG]