Help with chosing a bag.

Gregry254

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have recently purchased a D5000 and I will be going climbing in the next few weeks, I would like to take it with me BUT I cant just just throw it in my climbing bag cause it will get scratched/scuffed and battered around.

I will have on a backpack whilst climbing so what is my options?

Would like it to be water proof too, since the weather can change so quickly (here in Scotland and) up in the hills/mountains.

You could try looking for a topload bag. They fit snugly around your DSLR and aren't very large (I think smaller won't be possible). Lowepro is a good brand. They also have a waterproof backpack line. But those will be a lot bigger.

Well how battered around will it be. I mean if you're super limited on space maybe a ziplock bag and a towel or something protective wrapped around it, inside of your climbing bag. Not the best option but maybe one that will work. I can't see how you could get another bag on which is a problem. Maybe a sling bag if you can find a way. Lowepro makes very good ones. Check them out. GL
TJ

Usually not that battered around, but sometimes there is the odd burn/river to cross so just scared I miss step and end up drowning it!

And usually grade 3/4 but gonna do the whole camping/climbing weekend soon so not sure how that will turn out.

I'm sort of in the same situation as you - I do a bit of mountain biking and snowboarding and when doing these activities I usually wear a small backpack. I want to take my camera with me, but wrapping it in a towel or something and stuffing it in the bag, along with a spare lens and mabe a speedlite, gets pretty cumbersome and bulky, not to mention annoying to take the camera out and take a shot, put the camera back etc...
All I want is a backpack that is primarily just that, a backpack that I can put lunch, bike tools, spare clothes in, with a seperate padded compartment where I can put the camera and maybe a spare lens or something. All the bags I've looked at have laptop space, which I don't give a toss about (who actually takes their laptop out shooting with them?) and not enough/any room for any non-camera related gear. Is it so hard for a company to just make a good quality waterproof camera backpack that can also fit some other stuff for active sports shooting??

Is it so hard for a company to just make a good quality waterproof camera backpack that can also fit some other stuff for active sports shooting??

Lowepro - DryZone Rover
It's not that difficult as you might think. If you would just take some time to check the internet...

Oh, the internet, why didn't I think of that...

But seriously, I've been looking at manufacturer websites for ages now and still haven't found anything that is exactly what I need. The bag you linked to is too big (can take a hydration pack and 3-4 extra lenses which I don't need). Also, it is very expensive at $500+

Most reactions

New Topics

Back