Help with cropping & Glare

Toller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A day at the races.
Was trying different shooting techniques, and I feel that out of about 100 images I have a dozen which I am quite happy with. I have spent quite a bit of time doing some basic editing, however I was wondering which you felt was the better crop.
1. Wider crop
IMG_8566-crop.jpg

2. Closer crop
IMG_8566-crop2.jpg

I have read about the rule of thirds, though when applying this guide I feel that there is quite a bit of room for interpretation.
As you see I have left space to move into.. and the closer crop has a little more head room, Though in both the horse is mostly left of center...not exactly a third. How would you suggest I improve this

f/4.5 1/800 ISO 100 75mm Tv. Flash - No.

3. My horse was second!
This unfortunately was on the edge of the frame, but I liked the shot except for the glare off the jockeys silks. Shot is JPEG - any ideas how I can minimize this. f4.5 Tv ISO 160 very bright and sunny;)
IMG_8561-crop.jpg

Polarizing filters help reduce glare, but the whole pic looks a bit washed out to me.

Are you Mr. White or one of the son's?

The background in both shots is quite busy. You might have shot from a lower perspective, like sitting on the ground.

It would not only make the horses look a bit more majestic it would move some of that background clutter lower in the image.

I would suggest Av mode rather than TV mode in full sunlight like that.

A longer focal length, like 200mm, would negate the need to crop and would help to blur the background some at apertures like 5.6.

If getting closer to your subjects is an option, take it.

At one of the venues where I shoot soccer I have to be mindful of the bright blue porta-potties in the background and the microwave relay tower.

Last edited:
PJL thanks should have thought of that.... haven't yet used one though though I had bought one for sunny days....been so long

KmH Thank you for your comments.. I see what you mean a slightly lower pespective would be better, though in this instance sitting on the floor wasn't an option, though I could have shot from about a meter.

I was shooting in different modes, race 1 Av, 2 Tv etc, though the colour was better in Av I they weren't as sharp...wrong choice of f no. choice range is obvious with hindsight.

I did miss the porta loos though.... got the horse hospital instead:lol:

Most reactions

Back