Help with d40 ISO

Gregoryniss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I'm a new photographer and i just got a Nikon d40 kit last week. So far i'm really liking the camera. so heres my problem...

My dad has an old Sunpak auto 114 PC flash, and i've been using it on my Nikon. While it syncs with the camera, the camera can't detect that the flash is there, so it's boosting the ISO to 1600. I haven't' found a way to lower the ISO, and i'm not sure if you even can. I'm using Manual mode, and it says "Auto-ISO", but in the menu I have it set on ISO 200.

Can anyone help me out? I really can't afford buying a flash since i'm broke from buying the camera haha. Let's hope someone on here can help me!

Thank you,

Greg

You just have to turn off auto-ISO. Look in your manual, I'm sure there is some kind of instruction on how to do it.

... thanks haha. I had to enable the "full" menu, that's why i was missing it before. Thanks a lot!

Greg

PS Sorry for the stupid thread haha. Mods can delete if they want

I for one don't think this was a stupid thread. You don't want to know how long I went without realizing I could turn off auto ISO or set auto ISO to not go above 800 etc. Very useful features; i just wish we didn't have to go menu diving so much on the D40 :er:.

There's an option to enable the "full" menu on the D40?

Wow. That's just... wow.

There's an option to enable the "full" menu on the D40?

Wow. That's just... wow.
I take it you haven't had the pleasure of operating a D40 with all its menu diving goodness. No dedicated buttons for ISO, metering, AF et cetera, so you have to go menu diving all the time :lmao:. The "my menu" feature allows you to limit what settings show up in each menu so you can get to the settings quicker (though still nowheres as quick as with dedicated buttons and command dials), not that there are too many menu items in the full setup, but it can help. That said, I usually just keep it set to full menu.

I take it you haven't had the pleasure of operating a D40 with all its menu diving goodness. No dedicated buttons for ISO, metering, AF et cetera, so you have to go menu diving all the time :lmao:. The "my menu" feature allows you to limit what settings show up in each menu so you can get to the settings quicker (though still nowheres as quick as with dedicated buttons and command dials), not that there are too many menu items in the full setup, but it can help. That said, I usually just keep it set to full menu.

Having to do that every time would do my head in, it must make shooting very slow

That's why I also detest using entry level Canons. You have to do some round about things to change certain features.

Yeah, the quickest way i found to change the iso on the d40/60 is to double tap the info button on the back, opens up a quick menu sort of thing and you can just go straight to the ISO/WB/whatever right from there.

hehe, nope. But I think I would probably murder someone within a week if I had to deal with that a lot. I used my Mom's D60 for an hour or so when she got it, and was deeply irked by the menus and limitations on that thing... I assumed the D40 was similar.

I'm really very happy I have the D100 and D300. :)

Yeah, the quickest way i found to change the iso on the d40/60 is to double tap the info button on the back, opens up a quick menu sort of thing and you can just go straight to the ISO/WB/whatever right from there.

That works, but the fastest way is to program the ISO to the function button. Hold function button, turn command dial, and you can go to your desired ISO level. At least this can be done on the D40x - I would imagine the D40/D60 as well.

Of course if another function is more important to you then it's probably better that you program this to the function button.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back