Help with fill flash.

NEPats37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the basic idea of fill flash down but wanted to touch up a little. Lets say I want to use fill flash outdoors on a sunndy day. How exactly can I do this so it does not over expose the picture? do I go close the aperture one or 2 stops from the recommended aperture without flash?

example without flash 1/125 f8
fill flash 1/125 f11?

thanks for the help.

First off what flash are you using? For the most part you will not over expose the picture if its a sunny day. I would try going to down 1 stop but i'll let the more experienced people fill in the rest

First off what flash are you using? For the most part you will not over expose the picture if its a sunny day. I would try going to down 1 stop but i'll let the more experienced people fill in the rest

i have 2 flashes, a sunpak completely manual flash that I hate, the other is a auto canon speedlite, you just tell it how far away and it does the rest.

What's your flash sync? Adjust your shutterspeed, ISO, aperture, whatever for the ambient exposure to match your flash sync. Fill flash just fills in your shadows. TTL metering pretty much does that for you anyway to keep from blowing out what the sun is already shining on.

Manual fill flash was always the most difficult thing in photography for me. In bright sunlight with backlit subjects, I used to calculate a normal flash exposure and stop down one stop from that. It was usually in the ball park. With modern automated TTL flash it is as easy as it used to be difficult. The camera just does it for you. Try my original rule of thumb. It should get you close enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back