Help with focusing on Ef 85mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by GorillaJJitsu, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    As an idea
    I sometimes shoot pics of a rule or tape measure at different f stops to get idea of the lenes’ DOF

2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think Derrel pretty much nailed it. Looks like you were working with a very narrow DOF, plus it looks to me that it might be about 3/4 of stop underexposed. The bright window in back can throw off your exposure.

You say it's a maternity shoot, to clarify is this prebirth....just the mother, or mother and baby??? If it's just the mother, before you decide on settings you need to get some feedback from the mother. Ask questions, is she overly sensitive about some things, things she doesn't want shown, or things she does want to be featured, what does she envision? What about light, will it be ambient, what about the location (next to a window, or dark room), will you need reflectors, or will you need strobes/flash. Once you know more about what she wants, and the conditions you'll be shooting under then make your settings and lighting setups appropriately.

Unless its an exception, most of the time when shooting kids, I'm generally at f/8 for it's deeper DOF. Kids/babies, generally have super delicate smooth skin free of pores, and such that need to be hid with a shallow DOF. Having both eyes, nose and mouth in focus is usually a requirement from Moms and Grandmas. Also, be mindful of your exposure, little one's skin tend to have a lot of red in it, keeping your exposure light and airy as opposed to underexposed or dark, will go a long way toward eliminating it in camera saving a lot of time post. With babies, I'm not a believer in flashing a strobe in a newborns face, so I look for a good ambient light location. Large windows and reflectors can provide beautiful soft light.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    What the photo of the little girl shows is something that many people refer
    To as "veiling glare", which is a form of low image contrast,typically only present at the widest openings of the lens.

With many 50 mm F1.4 lenses there is a pretty high degree of veiling glare when the lens is used wide open, but by stopping down to f/2 or to f/2.8, contrast usually goes upward markedly, and by F4 most 50 mm lenses are performing very well. 50mm lenses of f/1.4 aperture are probably the most well-known offenders for veiling glare at maximum aperture, but it's fairly common in other lenses as well.

It is Saturday at 11:30 on the West Coast, so I assume that your shoot has already begun or has already finished. I hope you got some good shots. In my opinion the photograph of the little girl is pretty good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. GorillaJJitsu

GorillaJJitsu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some shots from my first maternity shoot today

Attached Files:

5. GorillaJJitsu

GorillaJJitsu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You are awesome man. All your input and positivity. I appreciate it. I uploaded Some shots from the shoot today. I set my camera up for back button focus and it made a tremendous difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Good deal! I will go look for your shots...been out for a few hours...your note of thanks is appreciated!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    brilliantly photos

• Like Like x 1
  8. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice.
    But in the 3rd pic, it appears to me, that the camera focused on the rock, rather than the couple.
    Or it could just be how my computers is displaying the image.

9. GorillaJJitsu

GorillaJJitsu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No you’re right. It is. Damnit. How do i avoid That? Higher aperture?

10. GorillaJJitsu

GorillaJJitsu TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here’s a better shot

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wfooshee

wfooshee No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have multi-point AF the camera generally picks the closest thing it can see. To force a focus point, use single-point (but not continuous) AF, hold the shutter button in half-press with THAT POINT centered in the viewfinder, and compose the frame while holding that half-press (which keeps the focus distance locked) and trigger the shutter. Don't lean forward or back when you recompose, or you ruin the focus distance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit