Help with HDR

nickzou

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been working on getting the hang of HDR for quite a while now. I've had marginal success but I still don't feel like I have complete control. Here are some examples:

A) Single Exposure

vKhHQ.jpg

B) HDR 1

ND10q.jpg

C) HDR 2

71GnJ.jpg

Which of the two is better? I know they are kinda different but at least so I can get a sense of what I am doing right or wrong.

Without knowing what you did, it's hard to say what you did wrong.

I like the second one better..... are they both made from the same final image, just processed different?

It looks to me like you're not taking a wide enough range of images to capture the details in the shadows while preventing the highlights from burning out.

HDR Discussions is where most TPF members share HDR stuff.

HDR 1 is 'muddy', and the detail outside the windows of the car is distracting if the interior of the car is the intended primary subject.

Last edited:
I did play with the Vibrance of HDR1. I didn't use Merge to HDR Pro in the second one. I just took what I understood of how HDR images work and did it manually. Expose one correctly, overexpose one, underexpose the other. I set the overexposed one to multiply to knock out all of the overexposed whiteness and leave the dark details. And for the underexposed one, I set to linear dodge to knock out most of the black to keep the light details. Is this method wrong? Is HDR more complicated than that? I kinda just logically went at trying to create the effect with what I know of how Photoshop layers work and my limited understanding of what HDR is.

even with hdr you still need to shoot when there is good light.

...sorry but not HDR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back