Help with motorcycle photography.

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by djtroy, Jan 10, 2018.

1. djtroy

djtroy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I wasn't saying $500 is all I needed. I have no clue if I need $500 or $50000 in lights. I was saying I could buy some lights now that I will be able to use in the future to help me out at this moment. I plan on having a nice photo booth built at our new store we are in the process of opening and I am in the process of figuring out what I need to build this booth (Its not going so well obviously). I never claimed to be an amazing photographer either so thanks for the pointless slams.
    I was looking for help with specific lights and setups. I was also looking for advice on camera lenses and perhaps some settings as far as ISO and shutter speeds. (This was stuff I was planning on learning on my own tho). I'm shooting photos for ads on Cycle trader and Craigslist it's not art to be hung up on my wall. I just needed the pictures to be clear and look true to what the bike looks like. I can see what most dealers shoot for photos and I'll tell you I'm pretty confident in saying what I shoot with nothing now is better than 70% of what I see out there. So its only going to get better from here and all I need is a little advice on hardware and the rest Ill learn as I go.
    Today I switched lenses and messed with the white balance and it was night and day better. I will try and post a before and after tomorrow.

2. djtroy

djtroy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I get it Derrel has to pick on the new guy because he has a million posts on here. Well, look at you mr seniority. You are dishing out the tough love, I know. You be you it's all yours.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A big part of the problem is that right now, you don't know what you don't know. There's wayyyyyyyyyyy more to this than can be related in a few posts on an Internet forum.

Lights: This is a personal choice, pretty much like buying a car. All lights perform more or less the same basic function, but some are better quality, some have better features, and some come in cool colours. You need to understand the difference between monolights and 'pack & head' systems, as well as what modifiers do what. You need to understand polarization, cross-polarization, angle of incidence, inverse square law and a few other things...

Lenses: Something fast (~1.8 or better), 85mm or longer, but I wouldn't discount a UWA for dramatic close-up shots.

Settings: ABSOLUTELY impossible to say (with the possible exception of ISO: Always as low as possible).

Now, if all you want is 'better than the average bear, throw on an on-camera speedlight and bounce it. Job done.

4. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    actually you really dont get...

5. Sportrunner

Sportrunner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For your question about settings I recommend getting a light meter. I use a sekonic that wirelessly triggers my strobes. When shooting with strobes I set my iso to 100 then adjust my aperture based on the lens I'm using and the depth of field I want. This always gets me in the ballpark to start with.

Equipment is always a personal thing especially lens and light choices. Speedlights will probably get you what you need as far as lights go. Lens choice, try working with what you already have. If you don't like it then start identifying what you don't like.

The strobist website gives great info for beginners in off camera lighting. I started with info from that site many years ago and it really helped me get up to speed.

6. djtroy

djtroy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

BEST POST SO FAR. Thank You so much sir I will look into this.