Help with my Nikon 70-200 VR Lens

PushingTin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.christwine.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
MY lens arrived today from Adorama (Used but in "D" condition which is basically demo model condition)

The lens is great, except that it does not focus closer than 2.5m??? I have tried changing the button from infinity-2.8 to FULL but still does not focus closer than 2.5m. Anything further than 2.5m focuses fine.

Is there something wrong with the lens or is it me doing something wrong???

Using the lens on a D50.

I am from South Africa so sending it back to Adorama is going to be a mission and a half.

What does the manual say the closest focusing for this lens is? My Canon lens must be about 2m?

Edit - I just checked and it should be 1.4m.

I too have a focus limiter (I think it's 2.5m - infinity). I only have this set when shooting long distances.

that sounds about right if the lijmiter is on. Is 2.5m the shortest on the focusing scale?

No but does not matter if I switch the limiter button from "infinity - 2.5m" or to FULL it wont focus closer than 2.5m.

It appears like its getting stuck at 2.5m and wont focus closer. Maybe a problem with the limiter? Even manually though, I cannot seem to get it past 2.5m on the focusing scale. It appears that 2.5m is not the shortest on the focusing scale as I can just about see the next number, but cant get that far.

Maybe you should just box that badboy up and send it to me.

hehe no thx, i been drooling for this lens for long time now....

now if only i can get it to focus as it should :(

I checked mine out. You will notice that on the focus limit switch the "full" position is marked infinity - 2.5m. I can only assume that 2.5m is the minimum focus distance.I think I would take Nikon's specification over some other that you might find on the internet. My lens may focus slightly closer than 2.5m but not much. I think mine may go to about 2.25 meters or so. It sounds to me like your lens is just fine. Enjoy it. It is an extremely fine performing lens for a zoom. Take care.

fmw, thanks for your reply...

However I believe its Nikons specs that say it can go to 1.5m A and 1.4m M.

The infinity-2.5m is apparently meant to limit the focus to 2.5m but if the button is on the FULL mode then it should focus closer?

Please do one more test for me... put your lens on FULL mode and see what the closest focusing distance you can get (the actual reading on your focusing scale). Mine says 2.5m but it looks like it can get closer as I see lower numbers if i look carefully to the side of the scale.

fmw, thanks for your reply...

However I believe its Nikons specs that say it can go to 1.5m A and 1.4m M.

The infinity-2.5m is apparently meant to limit the focus to 2.5m but if the button is on the FULL mode then it should focus closer?

Please do one more test for me... put your lens on FULL mode and see what the closest focusing distance you can get (the actual reading on your focusing scale). Mine says 2.5m but it looks like it can get closer as I see lower numbers if i look carefully to the side of the scale.

No, the limit position will cut out close focusing to make focusing faster. Full handles the whole range of the lens. I did run the test. Mine focused to 2.3 meters as measured with a tape measure.

hmmmm, thanks for doing the test and then it appears I should not be worrying about anything - but I just have this gut feel that it aint right.

Why do I see more numbers that are lower than 8 Feet (2.5m) on the focusing scale if it can never reach that number? I can clearly see the 7 feet almost popping on to view on the focusing scale.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Just to give everyone an update on this thread - I took the lens to a local Nikon shop, they took one look and said the focus limiter was faulty.

I sent it back to Adorama (cost me a good few $ to courier it back) but the guys and gals at Adorama were very efficient, and it was replaced with a brand new lens. (Had to pay only a few dollars extra to get a new model instead of another used demo model).

I now have my new 70-200 VR and it works great as it should. Very happy with the lens and happy with the service from Adorama.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back