Help with Nikon FM

ucrazyutaraptor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I was visiting my grandparents this weekend by granddad gave me his old Nikon FM camera, which is awesome! He did say he dropped it once but that it still worked afterwards.

I've been getting to grips with it all day and I've managed to load it with film, but after you press to take a photo and wind it on the bit that tells you how many photos you have left isn't moving from 36. Is the camera actually taking photos? Is it just that bit that is stuck? The film winds on fine, but I don't know if it's broken or I've done something wrong (I'm a beginner with film).

I'm also pretty sure it needs a new battery but i can't get the battery bit unscrewed!

Has anyone got any ideas? I've been googling but since I don't really know any technical terms or anything it's been tricky to find exactly the problem. Any help is much appreciated! :blushing:

If the frame counter is showing "36" then it is at the end of its travel (whether film is loaded or not). Opening the film door should return it to its starting position. Then, after closing the door, it should start advancing with each shot up to 36 again.

To open the film door you need to put some clockwise pressure on the little lever extending beneath the rewind knob while pulling up on the knob at the same time.

The frame counter should move whether film is loaded or not. If the frame counter is not working the camera can still be used.

The battery compartment lid usually will unscrew with a US 5 cent coin...surely there's a British coin of similar thickness. With the camera turned upside down, unthread the battery compartment cover by turning anti-clockwise with the coin inserted into the slot. Now, I suspect the reason it will not easily unscrew is 1) you're none too bright and have been tightening the screw (unlikely, and yet, still a possibility) or 2) the batteries leaked and have corroded the cap in there quite badly. Since you have found your way here, my money is on possibility #2. I shot the original FM model for many,many years and really enjoyed it.

Most reactions

Back