Help With P Mode On Nikon

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm asking for a friend that has a D7200 and D710, I haven't picked up a Nikon in years, so my knowledge is limited. He's seen me using P mode on my Pentax cameras, and wants to try it. We figured out that moving aperture or shutter will change it to priority mode, but I can't find a similar "green button" like on my Pentax that will, with one push change it back to Program Mode. Can one of the Nikon shooters, explain how to quickly get back to Program Mode?

You usually just rotate the shooting mode dial to P.

You usually just rotate the shooting mode dial to P.

If the dial I'd on P, and you change aperture it goes to aperture priority. How do you get back to priority?

I thought "P" stood for program, not priority.

Set the dial to P. Shoot away. If it seems the shutter speed or aperture isn't what you wish for the final product a feature called Flexible Program is available. Moving the command wheel automatically selects Flexible Program. Which changes aperture and shutter speed but maintains equivalent exposure value. When in Flexible Program an asterisk (*) appears next to the "P". To return to Program mode just rotate command wheel until the asterisk disappears. Exposure compensation is available in Program as well. As are all metering settings.

I used to shun it as amateur. After finding some fast moving subjects I failed to get shots of I reluctantly tried it out. Worked well. There are situations where getting an acceptable shot is all that time permits. And it fits that bill well.

You can use P mode and Exposure Compensation very easily and effectively.

I think on Pentax DSLR's it is hyper-program.

Yup the "GREEN" button is pretty handy. On the fly I can switch to aperture or shutter priority, and back with the touch of a button

@MartinCrabtree That's pretty much what I reluctantly figured out. After trying it on his camera I can understand why he confined himself to aperture priority.

I use aperture priority most of the time. However the other modes have their advantages.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back