Help with Pentacon Six TL

dglass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not sure the shutter and curtains are working well. This is a camera that was doing fine until recently. The mirror stays in the up position, and it seems it sounded different before. I shot a test roll, so we'll see. Do any of you have suggestions?

I would suggest that you remove the lens and open the back and dry fire it a few times and see what is actually going on. Of course you would do this without film in the camera.

Last edited:
The mirror stays in the up position, and it seems it sounded different before. I shot a test roll, so we'll see.

You shot a test roll with the mirror in the up position? That should be interesting.

There are alot of myths about the P6TL, and i do know that if anyone has ever opened up the mechanism without knowing how it works can royally screw it up.

The one thing I have heard from P6TL owners in similar situations is old lubrication and lack of cleaning the camera.
Otherwise, as long as you understand the quirks of the camera its as solidly built as a Soviet T76 tank.

its as solidly built as a Soviet T76 tank.

That tank was amphibious. I wouldn't suggest trying to float a Pentacon Six. :)

And, why a Russian tank analogy? The camera was made in East Germany so shouldn't it be as solidly built as a Panzer?

its as solidly built as a Soviet T76 tank.

That tank was amphibious. I wouldn't suggest trying to float a Pentacon Six. :)

And, why a Russian tank analogy? The camera was made in East Germany so shouldn't it be as solidly built as a Panzer?
NEIN!!!!

Panzer was Nazi Germany and the Leopard is West Germany.

EAST Germany Ost Deutschlander!

So Eastern Soviet Bloc, ergo T72...(I erroneously said T76, but EG never bought any.)

Didnt you get into 1980's Red war conspiracy theories??

jeeze...

Was auch immer du sagst.

How adept are you with camera repairs ? As mentioned earlier the lube in these tends to harden up and leads to the shutter frequently
sticking open near the end of it's travel ( for reasons beyond me it's seems to start with the 1/125 speed) . A Hans Kerensky (sp?) on
Flickr , Pentacon six forum has a few articles on the mirror sticking, maybe lube or sticking seals . Good luck , I have a few and enjoy
them a lot . Peter

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back