help with scanning images and film - bad quality

beadgirl87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
So I was going to put some photos on here for c&c and as I use a film camera thought I would scan the negatives rather than the prints because I heard it was better.
Basically I worked out how to scan the film.....and the digital version is awful, its kind of grainy on the sky and a bit blurred. So I tried scanning the print aswell, and that looks better than the film but still not as sharp as the print.
Any ideas on what to change? I will upload some photos, to show the difference but do they have to be from flicker or photobucket as I don't have an account?
I have an Epson perfection v100 scanner. Also, couldn't decide to put this here or in the film section. So I can move it somewhere else if that is better.

I've used film scanners, which give good results, not any grainier than the film you are scanning. I don't know what resolution the flat-bed scanner you are using can achieve on a negative - you might want to research that to see if it is capable of doing a good job. You want enough resolution to give you at least 150 ppi when the image is enlarged to the print/display size you want. Also, do you get a preview that allows you to see if the image is really in focus, and could you correct manually if it isn't?

Dedicated film scanners are best for this but you can get ok results from a flatbed, post up each setting from the twain settings page and I should be able to see where you're going wrong. H

I also recommend a dedicated film scanner.

What software are you using to scan it in? Is it a film specific program, or just whatever came with the scanner?

Most programs will let you select the type of film you're scanning from a menu - setting that to the same as the film you're scanning should help too.
(It shouldn't really affect grain, but the colors will be more accurate.)

If the scan of the print doesn't look as sharp as the print itself, I suspect that the scanner is to blame...

Hello,
So I was going to put some photos on here for c&c and as I use a film camera thought I would scan the negatives rather than the prints because I heard it was better.
Basically I worked out how to scan the film.....and the digital version is awful, its kind of grainy on the sky and a bit blurred. So I tried scanning the print aswell, and that looks better than the film but still not as sharp as the print.
Any ideas on what to change? I will upload some photos, to show the difference but do they have to be from flicker or photobucket as I don't have an account?
I have an Epson perfection v100 scanner. Also, couldn't decide to put this here or in the film section. So I can move it somewhere else if that is better.

What kind of film?

Thank you for your advice.
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have had a sit down and tried out some more things. I tried auto, then professional mode, selecting different dpis. At 1200 and 3200 the images were better, although not great. When I scan the print it was still quite bad at 1200.
I'm not sure what the twain settings page is? However the settings were
Document type:film
Film type: color negative film
Image type: 24 bit color
Resolution: 1200 or 3200

The film I'm using is Fujifilm fujicolor C200.

Most reactions

Back