Help with tripod

Chili

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know from reading here the importance of a tripod. I am ready for the next step in taking better photos and want to get a tripod, but there are so many out there.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced one that is of good quality? Money is some what of an issue.

Thanks

If you don't have a tripod, and money is an issue, I'd say just get anything. Go to your local photo shop and get something cheap. It's going to be far better than not using something. Unless you are shooting in really bad weather conditions like high wind, and rocky, uneven landscape, it's not a huge issue. As you get more comfortable using a tripod, you can look at the medium and high priced models. You'll know more what you are looking for in terms of features.

I think a definition of "reasonably priced" is in order. Tripods can be had for $10 to $1000 and more so that is a big range to find what you might consider "reasonably priced". The other question is what are you trying to support, a DSLR with a large 2.8 lens or a small mini point and shoot? I have linked what is a good combination but again it depends on what you consider reasonable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...200&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Thanks JIP, I was looking to spend $50 to $75 and did not know if that was enough of a budget to get one that would not fall apart after a couple of month's. I am shooting with a D50 with no big lenses for now.

Please read this before you go buy a tripod. It is very informative.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

This is not to say you have to spend $1000.00 for a tripod, but it easy to get to that point as the article points out.

Consider this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=73261&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

73261.jpg

I've been using mine for many years. It really works great, the price was right, and the quick-release shoe is just perfect. Mine was $60 when I bought it in the mid-1990s. I see they're down to $40 now...

Hmm!

I'm a total beginner, and just bought a tripod.

I embarrassed the crap out of my girl, by taking both of the models I was considering right out of the box, and setting up and playing with them for about half of an hour.

Right in the middle of the store, in the middle of an aisle, during Boxing Day, the busiest shopping day in Canada.:shock:

Store personnel kept coming by to ask if I "needed any help", I think they thought I was retarded or something because I'm in a wheelchair, but I had read alot about the difference in quality between the tripods at the bottom of the price point.

So I just smiled broadly and said, "No, but thanks for asking!"

The two tripods I assembled and played with were the samsonite 1100 for 18 bucks canuck, and the Opteka for about 35 canuck; both were on sale.

The opteka had better graphix on the box, and looked much sexier, and the blurb on the box was much more convincing.

All the samsonite had going for it was vastly superior rigidity, user interface, and fit and finish.:meh:

I bought the samsonite 1100 and I'm extremely happy with my 18 dollar purchase.:lmao:

Other than stopping using the integral flash, it's the best improvement I've made in my photography (not that I'm any ansel adams).

P.S., You'll be happy to know that my girl got over her embarrassment after I bought her a small but nice diamond solitaire with a white gold band.(at a third the appraised value :).......God Bless Boxing Day!

Hi Bobby, congratulations on your tripod purchase. Figure out a way to take it with you, always. Although it is unfortunate that you're in a wheelchair, you have a much more stable base than most of us! I wonder if you could figure a way to us it in conjunction with the chair... Maybe one leg (collapsed) on each arm of the chair, and the third leg going down between your legs either to part of the seat or the ground? Just a thought. You have probably already thought of something more elaborate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back