Help

bbirnie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright, I know this picture is crap but I'm just using it as an example.

The background is a lake, and fairly bright sky........ no matter what I did I couldn't get the lake and sky to just show up like it did through my eyes.

Yes I am a complete beginner but I do understand how the fundamentals of a SLR cam work.

It was taken with a Canon T1i at ISO 200 (probs my first error) Fstop - 5, focul length 27mm and shutter 1/50.

I went through all the metering modes, and white balances presets and AWB but either she would be too dark, or the background would be over exposed

When I changed those settings then the subject would be too dark.

thanks

IMG_0988.jpg

you problem is:

1st, set iso to 100
2nd raise your shutter speed to 1/320 or something.

1/50 is too low

The pic is overexposed because of slow shutter speed.

The problem was, was that she was in the shade....... quite dark where she was sitting, but the rest of the background was in bright sunlight, so when I raised the shutter speed, or lowered the ISO then she was too dark.

Why is she wearing cold weather boots with what I assume to be a bikini?

Yeah, I'd say you'd just have to get some good combo of shutter speed and aperture.

You need to expose both the subject and the background the same... So you either need to make the sun dim OR introduce light to your subject. A camera can only do so much.

meter the background, shoot it with flash.. problem solved. BTW.. next time dont let her sit on the towel LOL

You need to expose both the subject and the background the same... So you either need to make the sun dim OR introduce light to your subject. A camera can only do so much.

Agreed. Time for some fill. I must admit, I have never seen that kind of blown out area before. So Yellow.

Although ISO 200 isnt my first choice, it is not the problem. You can still get good photo with ISO 200 with this scenario.

shoot it with flash.. problem solved. BTW.. next time dont let her sit on the towel LOL
Absolutely adding light is the solution to the problem, however, with that much dynamic range it's doubtful a pop-up, or even a speedlight, would have enough power to balance the foreground and background without being very harsh.

Meter the subject to set your aperture, then meter the background to determine the lighting ratio and how much supplimental light you will need to have the background a stop or so less than your subject.

Good photos are made with supplimental lighting, in the daytime outdoors, at night, and inside.

You were right to put her in open shade. The only trouble is, you didn't arrange the shot so your main light was from the Sun and reflections off the lake. Your camera position was 180° out of wack, making her backlit by your main light.

BTW... I agree.... Towel needs to go... Unless this is an advertisement for the towel company, she should look comfortable while having a rock wall shoved up her a$$ lol... That's why I would rather be behind the camera!

she should look comfortable while having a rock wall shoved up her a$$ lol...

First the "pp" comment and now this. I think the baby must be, um, cutting into a routine or something... ;)

They should put a warning on cold medications that states "Do not participate in any on-line forum while taking this drug. Doing so may make you sound retarded." Not myself today... Kinda like who I am, though!

she should look comfortable while having a rock wall shoved up her a$$ lol...

First the "pp" comment and now this. I think the baby must be, um, cutting into a routine or something... ;)

They should put a warning on cold medications that states "Do not participate in any on-line forum while taking this drug. Doing so may make you sound retarded." Not myself today... Kinda like who I am, though!

Not quite what I meant. :biggrin: I remember when we would have a new born in the house (4 kids now). Some "other" activities would happen less often and so I might get pre-occupied with the fact that these other activities happened less often. Maybe, unconsciously, your brain is telling you something... or it could just be right up front.:lol:

Meter the subject to set your aperture, then meter the background to determine the lighting ratio and how much supplimental light you will need to have the background a stop or so less than your subject.

Please explain a bit further. This is very interesting. I should know this!

Not quite what I meant. :biggrin: I remember when we would have a new born in the house (4 kids now). Some "other" activities would happen less often and so I might get pre-occupied with the fact that these other activities happened less often. Maybe, unconsciously, your brain is telling you something... or it could just be right up front.:lol:

Hahaha... I get you now! But trust me... No shortage of the "O" face around here... Shhhh.... Were trying for another one!

Most reactions

Back