HELP!!

Trever1t said:
one post and gone.....I smell a troll.

Sorry I didn't respond Quick enough but I work 6 days a week and I am a mother of 2 so sometimes it's hard to get online

Jeremy Z said:
I disagree with the people who say to refuse. That is no way to treat a friend in need.

If it is going to be a big, fancy wedding, and your friend is a Bride-zilla and just trying to be cheap with photography, then yes, tell them no. But if she is just not rich and just wants pix or snapshots to commemorate the occasion, then by all means, go ahead!

It's not a big fancy wedding. Just some family and a few friends. I have told her not to expect perfection from me since this is my first wedding and suggested that she gets someone else with more experience but she insisted on me doing it and as a favor to her and my wedding gift to her I am doing it. If it was a big wedding I def would have refused. She is on a tight budget (so tight that she borrowed a wedding dress). I know I don't have the best camera but it's a good start for me. Thank you for your suggestion and not being negative. I was actually thinking about purchasing the 50mm. It's good and non expensive. Again I would like to thank you for your help!

Post pics when you are done. Good luck.

Good thing you weren't a troll!

I'd still want to insist they pay for a photographer. That said, I hired a pro at my first wedding and my brother got the best shots with his disposeable :( Seems you're going for it, good luck!

Good thing you weren't a troll!

I'd still want to insist they pay for a photographer. That said, I hired a pro at my first wedding and my brother got the best shots with his disposeable :( Seems you're going for it, good luck!
It's far less divisive to be angry at a pro you don't know personally that you have paid. I think it's good to have friend's photos among the professional as sometimes they can have more atmosphere

Oh and I will be at the rehearsal to do some practice shots!

If allow, I'd go to the church and ask about if you can use flash. And take few sample shots there so that you know what to try or bring in the rehearsal.

Practicing at the rehearsal will be invaluable for you. Make the most of it.

My husband and I decided to get married 'on a whim' during a family get together out of state. His brother took photos with his 'nice camera' and I love them. Sure a professional would have been nice, but I knew he wasn't a pro. He captured beautiful moments for us for free. If your friends can't afford a photographer, I say help them out. But make them very aware you are just a girl with a nice camera.

I'd help them out in a different way.

Do you personally know any of the other guests? Is it possible for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc others plus yourself to throw down $50-100 bucks each to get them someone who at least has the right gear? It would be a hell of a wedding present for them.

And yes I understand that $700 is still a cheap wedding photographer.

Oh and I will be at the rehearsal to do some practice shots!

If allow, I'd go to the church and ask about if you can use flash. And take few sample shots there so that you know what to try or bring in the rehearsal.
In my view, Flash will spoil the atmosphere. Flash is so disruptive and could actually make shooting harder not easier.

If you believe in yourself and your abilities then have no fear and go ahead with your preparation however, since Flash is not allowed it would be good to invest in a decent light meter and a couple of fast lenses would be okay, I would suggest you go for the 24mm - 70mm and a 80mm - 135mm, those two lenses are very good for the job as recommended by the professional, another thing you need to do is to practice the light meter reading from the location until you get acquainted. remember you might need a tripod or a mono-pod just to be on the safe side. another import factor you may consider is studying loads and loads of wedding pictures just to give you a rough idea of how to compose.

You could also look into hiring a camera and lenses for the day, if in the rehearsal you find yourself struggling with the light

***nobody saw anything***

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back