Here goes nothing...

Rebel XT, 18-55mm (came with it), and usually use the square mode or the no flash mode if I dont want a flash. Since I dont know how to use the creative modes yet, I find myself fighting with the camera a lot. I can be outside, with full sun, and it wants to use the flash, so I set it to no flash and of course its super slow to close the shutter(I guess) and my pictures turn out like crap.
I got a new lens for my birthday, but I'm waiting for a lens hood and a remote to come before I use it, and I want to read the manual some so maybe I can do something different for a change.

My camera hates me so much that even with lots of light (so it seems to me) in sports mode (lil runnin dood) it keeps the shutter open. You'd think I was trying to take pictures thru the lens cap or something. Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to light and my camera knows better? I dunno.

Ah, I see. Yeah, all of the automatic options are great, but shooting in manual is much more efficient. You can be more creative and assertive with how you want the photo to turn out. I really suggest looking into how to correctly expose a photograph manually! I'm sure the internet could teach you.

I would suggest you experiment in Aperture priority mode first (most people shoot in that mode).

If reading is something you're considering, look for "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

A little nervous about this after reading some of the other threads, but here goes.

You are fine, don't worry about it. You are here to learn, contribute in a meaningful way, participate and follow the guidelines, rules, etiquette. As you learn you will have even more to offer. How can we reject that?

There is an obvious difference in your post and others that were not received so well.

You have enough feedback about your shots.

WELCOME!

"Rules" really should be thought of as "Guidelines".
For example, ROT the infamous "Rule of Thirds". For some photos, it really does enhance composition and make the photo more pleasing to the eye. But if try it and find looking at the shot grinds on you, put the subject wherever makes your brain happy. If you are not working for a client or trying to sell your work, then it's all about you and what makes you smile when that shot flips through your photo frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back