Here is a good example of the Exposure Triangle.

donny1963

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
here is a good example of the Exposure triangle, i always said, that ISO, IS NOT, part of the exposure triangle, ISO is applied gain, and that happens after the picture has been taken, in Digital photography, not Film film is different.

ISO in Digital photography is Applied gain which happens after the picture was taken.
the first of the exposure triangle is Aperture, the second, is shutter speed, and the third, is SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio)

see turning up the ISO is degrading your signal and degrading your picture, each time you turn that ISO up a level higher your applying noise to your image.
now i'm not going to say any more watch this video which will explain this in great detail..
Any one who tells you that ISO is part of the Exposure triangle, doesn't really understand what digital photography is.

facepalm.jpg

As for the video author -- surely there's a listing in the DSM that applies.

The exposure triangle was created as a model to help beginners understand the exposure controls on their cameras and be able to thoughtfully and appropriately set them. It's not a good model but it has been arguably useful doing the job for which it was created.

If, like me, you find the model weak and confusing why in the name of BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPIN' BLEEP would you change it to make it more confusing and downright stupid?!

All of my camera's have a shutter speed control.
All of my lenses have an aperture and I can set the f/stop.
Please show me where on my camera I can set the SNR and then take a picture.

Joe

If you watched the video you would see there is no dial or control for SNR but you can control it.
also creating the exposure triangle as a model to help beginners is not a good way to give beginners an understanding of photography and how exposure works now is it?
Maybe that's why so many people are confused with ISO on Digital Camera believing it's part of the Exposure triangle, which it isn't.
With Film Camera's yes, NOT Digital, ISO is applied gain, and that gain is applied after the image is captured, not at the time of the shot, like with film.
ISO / ASA with film works very differently then Digital, it's chemicals built into the film.

and to change it would not be more confusing it's confusing now because people are mislead of what ISO really is.
ISO is nothing more then a way to degrade a picture at any level going above Base ISO mostly anything above 100, the minute you turn that dial above 100 even if it's going to 200, your degrading the image,Yes you are and you can see it if you look carefully, or even more so when you enlarge a print from it.
That grain your seeing with higher ISO it's NOT film Grain it's color degrading and noise your seeing because of that, NOT FILM Grain there is a big difference.
As explained in the video Signal to Noise Ratio, the higher the ISO the more noise you get in your image.
Noise=bad picture...

just like when your driving a car and your listening to your favorite song and as your driving further away from the radio station to the point where your losing signal the song sounds like crap starts to brake apart and gets to the point not even enjoyable..

same thing with applying Higher ISO it's like your driving further away from the radio station and losing the signal..
there is no argument to dispute this fact, nothing you can say makes what this video or what i'm saying here less true.
it's a fact and people should start actually learning the correct way in photography and learn what ISO in digital camera's are.
actually watch the video and learn something and not ask if there is a SNR setting on your camera, there isn't it's

your methods of how you go about taking your shot, being what lens you use and what lighting you apply to your shot, lighting as always taught,
and is very important is a prime element in your signal to noise in your picture lighting is 80% of your exposure control..
ISO is NOT!!!

Hey maybe that's why photographers spend so much money on lighting systems eh?

Donny

As for the video author -- surely there's a listing in the DSM that applies.

The exposure triangle was created as a model to help beginners understand the exposure controls on their cameras and be able to thoughtfully and appropriately set them. It's not a good model but it has been arguably useful doing the job for which it was created.

If, like me, you find the model weak and confusing why in the name of BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPIN' BLEEP would you change it to make it more confusing and downright stupid?!

All of my camera's have a shutter speed control.
All of my lenses have an aperture and I can set the f/stop.
Please show me where on my camera I can set the SNR and then take a picture.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Again if your really watched the video you would know how you adjust SNR.
and scratching your head, yes this is always a factor when trying to tell some one what ISO Really is because most are taught that ISO is part of the exposure triangle.
But hey you think your correct keep doing what your doing you will produce pictures with nosie and the ones who actually
understand this correctly will produce cleaner images..

Being that a FACT!!!!!!!!

I clicked AGREE to Ysarex's post but that wasn't enough so here's my "I AGREE".
Also my first head scratch-er was wondering where on my camera I could adjust SNR??????

correct you adjust it on how you go about exposing your shot, being applying lighting, and also what camera and lens you use, all that applies to SNR.
And other factors.. it's all explained in the video, i'm so glad some one created that video no one not any of these knuckle dragging youtubers who claim to know photography
make videos on various things but NONE of them actually explain ISO and exposure..
If more people would start actually learning the truth about it, i can say they would be producing cleaner images and doing better photography..
Donny

Also my first head scratch-er was wondering where on my camera I could adjust SNR??????
You can't adjust it directly.

If you watched the video

I did. That's what the giant emoji was for.

you would see there is no dial or control for SNR but you can control it.

In many or most situations taking a photograph you can not control SNR apart from changing the f/stop or shutter speed which are already variables in the Exposure Triangle. In a lighting condition like this:

smoke_stacks.jpg

What setting on their camera can the average beginner change that will raise the SNR?

also creating the exposure triangle as a model to help beginners is not a good way to give beginners an understanding of photography and how exposure works now is it?

Well you're the one posting videos about it. Why did you bring it up then?

Maybe that's why so many people are confused with ISO on Digital Camera believing it's part of the Exposure triangle, which it isn't.

Of course it's part of the Exposure Triangle. The Exposure Triangle vertices are shutter speed, f/stop and ISO.

exp_triangle.jpg

Joe

I watched part of The Angry Photographer's video about the so-called Exposure Triangle. I found it so boring, and the graphic so awful that I stopped a few minutes into it,and did not finish watching the video. However, since The Angry Photographer seems so high on SNR as part of exposure, I made a decision, one I hope I shall not regret. I decided that, on Monday, I will be sending my cameras to Nikon's Melville, California repair facility, to have a Signal To Noise Ratio button installed. I figure the $61,567.87 price per camera is well worth it. Of course, I have been drinking a mixture of cranberry and apple juice, diet Rockstar, and tequila, so perhaps my thinking is not quite as clear as The Angry Photographer's thinking.

So...is there anybody else here who thinks paying $61,567.87 (per camera) for having a Signal To Noise Ratio button added to a Nikon D610 and a Nikon D800 makes economic sense? I mean, I think it makes about as much sense as the video does, and I've been drinking tequila and energy drink and cut-rate juice tonight, so I mean,mmmmm, what the heck, right? $120k for the two cameras, and I'll be able to do an Exposure Triangle gymnastic feat worthy of a YouTube video!

(Addendum: ^^^^satire^^^^ alert)

Last edited:
your methods of how you go about taking your shot, being what lens you use and what lighting you apply to your shot, lighting as always taught,
and is very important is a prime element in your signal to noise in your picture lighting is 80% of your exposure control..

Are you sure? The idiot in the video said it was 70%. He also said the other factors added up to 40%. Woah! I found the real secret to the SNR Exposure Triangle 70% + 40% = 100%!

Joe

I watched part of The Angry Photographer's video about the so-called Exposure Triangle. I found it so boring, and the graphic so awful that I stopped a few minutes into it,and did not finish watching the video. However, since The Angry Photographer seems so high on SNR as part of exposure, I made a decision, one I hope I shall not regret. I decided that, on Monday, I will be sending my cameras to Nikon's Melville, California repair facility, to have a Signal To Noise Ratio button installed. I figure the $61,567.87 price per camera is well worth it. Of course, I have been drinking a mixture of cranberry and apple juice, diet Rockstar, and tequila, so perhaps my thinking is not quite as clear as The Angry Photographer's thinking.

So...is there anybody else here who thinks paying $61,567.87 (per camera) for having a Signal To Noise Ratio button added to a Nikon D610 and a Nikon D800 makes economic sense? I mean, I think it makes about as much sense as the video does, and I've been drinking tequila and energy drink and cut-rate juice tonight, so I mean,mmmmm, what the heck, right? $120k for the two cameras, and I'll be able to do an Exposure Triangle gymnastic feat worthy of a YouTube video!

(Addendum: ^^^^satire^^^^ alert)

Easy there, you're scaring me. Tequila + Rockstar + laughing so hard at that video it hurts = heart attack.

Joe

But what about the $61,000 SNR buttons, Joe? Should I get two cameras modded? Or just the D800?

I want one of those damned SNR buttons!

But what about the $61,000 SNR buttons, Joe? Should I get two cameras modded? Or just the D800?

I want one of those damned SNR buttons!

Absolutely! You should have one.

Joe

Oh boy. WTH is SNR? I don't care. Is it sunny outside or cloudy? Hmmmm

Most reactions

Back