Heres One From Today

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was walking to my car today, after shooting some photos for my blog header, and this door really caught my eye..

20090831-cna5e69ijkii34s1hxxtkcx8h9.jpg

I love doors.

Personally I think the selective red coloration is too much. I think you could get the same effect toned down a bit by desaturating that red like 50% or so. That being said, I think I would go all B&W and enjoy those textures that the color really distracts from.

I also think the crop on the bottom is a little aggressive and I think you might want to crop more from top and left... I think it's a bit off-balance as it is.

The texture on the wall is just beautiful, and the door is certainly interesting. Nice eye.

Hey Chris... thanks for the advice.. I was feeling the same about the Red.. it seemed to be a bit much... as for the crop.. it was out of necessity.. the bottom of the door had a really gross set of stairs, and the cement of the wall was cracked up really bad, it was very distracting.

Here's 2 more tries at it, 1 with the Red dropped down some, and 1 totally B&W..

20090831-ciwi6gbjn7tb2sj6hc4ikxxue6.jpg

20090831-q95gwyd6q7mdpragdp6i6w365t.jpg

i think the black and white is much better. the red, as previously stated, really does distract from the nice texture of the wall (and door itself).

Would you be willing to post the unedited version of this?
I am curious about what it looked like full color.

Also the door at the (bottom)edge of the frame is a killer for me on this one.

Would you be willing to post the unedited version of this?
I am curious about what it looked like full color.

Also the door at the (bottom)edge of the frame is a killer for me on this one.

I'll post it up in a bit, about to go for a walk with my son.. I'm going to stop at the same spot, and do a wider shot of it, maybe then I'll be able to get a better crop of the bottom of the door (which also is the only part i hate.. but its the best I could do.. it was really gross looking!)

Sometimes gross is really good in shots... decay is fascinating and often creates pleasant images and amazing textures.

doors are fun, but how did you isolate the red? I've seen point and shoot cameras that have fancy little settings built into them that isolate colors but never in a DLSR. I do very little, if any, potoshop work so i'm not very familiar with some of the tools/plugins.

There is an old door to a abandoned pawn shop down the road from me, it has a sign that says "we buy anything of value." Thanks to this picture i must now walk down there and get the shot.

how did you isolate the red?

theres a few ways.. i usually do it in photoshop.. but i now have a filter in Lightroom where i just click it, and it isolates whatever color I want..

new photos coming soon..

I hereby rename Bitter Jeweler to Impatient Jeweler. :lol:

ok, so.. I've started to see some beauty in that grossness..

Here we go.. sorry for so many, but, I wanted to show you all the things I tried. They are all original size to, incase anyone feels the need to play with it..

1) Heres the Original, no edits, straight from the camera:
20090901-jmatmd33tkjf6bn6fjfwsxmpct.jpg

2) Heres my first edit.. I like it a lot:
20090901-kes8eue8crr8d72us6mtyf86j1.jpg

3) Heres that same edit, but in BW (also a huge fan of it)
20090901-e5fh9sexaysspy9kpdrswwiy29.jpg

4) And then a quick edit to make the wall look the same:
20090901-p9mge4tuy4kengcmm1uupjp2ni.jpg

5) And then the new wall, in BW:
20090901-mm4aydc658b8w2ae2t1khudfre.jpg

I've actually almost lost interest in the wall repair i made, and am liking having the small patch of brick there now..

Lemmie know your thoughts

pfffffffffffffft...

WOW.

Dude, the ONLY thing I would even CONSIDER editing out of this picture is that picnic table. Anything else removed or altered just totally wrecks it, IMO.

Wow.

I totally can't believe you found some of those other elements gross. :lol: That scene is like heaven on earth for me.

pfffffffffffffft...

WOW.

Dude, the ONLY thing I would even CONSIDER editing out of this picture is that picnic table. Anything else removed or altered just totally wrecks it, IMO.

Wow.

I totally can't believe you found some of those other elements gross. :lol: That scene is like heaven on earth for me.

its funny, because the first time i went, i was in a totally different mind frame (i was shooting some photos for my website header) and it just caught my eye on as i was passing by.. but this time, I went back, specifically for the door, and i saw it with a totally different eye.. and as you said, it is actually beautiful.. I'm totally loving it now, and not really liking the ones where I edited the wall.. my fav is the second one i posted. .

i may go back again tomorrow, and just move the picnic table altogether.. it'll be a lot easier than having to clone it out

I couldn't resist, the image was just too amazing. I tried my hand at it.

Just a bit of saturation (very little), a good bit of contrast (+20 points), a pretty strong sharpening pass, and removal of that picnic table (sloppy and quick, but pretty close).

REDDOOR.jpg

I very strongly feel that your other edits were all WAY too destructive. What you have here is a very good image. Don't assume you need to muck with it to make it work.

I would literally be printing this one out and hanging it on my wall were I you.

Most reactions

Back