Hey all :)

D-07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off I'd like to say hello to all of you, and I like what I see on the forums! Everyone seems very helpful and selfless with advice, No hiding of the cards so to speak with advice and tips. It seems very open and relaxed which is great to see.

I got into photography earlier this year, Around January time I bought myself a Nikon D60, and some friends and family bought me some books and such to use as a reference for my information.

Unfortunately I didn't have the free time I needed to practice, and family issues arose about 2 month into getting to grips with photography. I never had the time to practice so I sold my Nikon on to someone who would put it to some use rather than sit around gathering dust!

Come this January, still a few month off I know, I'm getting myself a Canon EOS 500D, My friend who I used to shoot with uses a Nikon D90, so I've decided to go for a camera on the same level of the D90 which the 500D seems to be.

I've picked Canon because however much I did like my D60, after using my other friends 350D I always regretted not getting a Canon, I prefer the feel of it in my hand, much more comfortable than my D60 was, and I much prefer the shutter release position on the Canons.

I'm getting myself a flash, battery grip and the 500D to get myself up and running again, I'll look on the other sections of the forum rather than make my post here massive - but I'm looking for advice on which lenses to purchase for portrait photography for Canon's, As I've no idea with them since I used Nikon before.

I'm Currently waiting to return to college (Friday coming) to study my last year of computer science, and business. Afterward I am going onto a 2 year Media course, Video editing, photography and such. So I'm really looking forward to getting back to college, and furthermore I can't wait to get myself another camera so I can dive right back in where I left off (with some brushing up of course!)

Oh and my name is Dominic, But please call me D for short, I never get called by my full name IRL :)

Hey D,
Personally, Unless you'll be shooting EXCESSIVELY and lots of portraiture, battery grip, especially on lower end models is waste of money. Buy a second battery and use whatever you have left over for 580EXII flash. Lenses, idea is simple regardless of the brand. A good lens that many of my colleagues use for wedding photography is EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard Zoom - Standard Zoom Lens - EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM - Canon USA Consumer Products. It isn't the FASTEST lens out there, but to learn lighting and composition it'll be MORE then enough. Interestingly enough, I believe it is a kit lens of 50D. You mentioned that you want to get more deep into photography thus in time you'll probably be shooting in manual mode. Personally, I think Rebel controls and same goes for Nikon D40, D50, D60 when in manual is HORRIBLE Nikon D70, D80 and D90 are designed MUCH better and same goes for Canon 20D, 30D, 40D. Thus since you're going with Canon, perhaps getting used 40D or 30D might be better then going with a Rebel series.
Don't turn into a pixel junky, since more pixel doesn't mean better image quality or better print. Less pixels (i.e. 6megapix) doesn't mean you can't easily print a 16x20 portrait Mpix.com - Help
Welcome to the wonderful world of photography and enjoy it.

Nikon vs Canon, my first camera was nikon with intentions on returning it and going Canon. But had an event to attend and purchased Flash and zoom lens. Years later, after working with various Canon gear and Nikon Gear, image quality is GREAT on both, the only difference is the feel. Love my Nikon feel.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice mate.

The battery grip is just to add a bit more weight and a extra shutter release for shooting in landscape mainly, also it saves me having to take another battery with me Its already in there and being used. However I do agree it could be put to better use - I'll re-think this nearer the time of purchase and see what I could get instead of a grip.

I am going to be focusing on Portrait/Fashion photography mainly, so I'm going to be shooting quite excessively in them two categories.

Oh and by all means, I am not a pixel junkie bud, I'm only choosing the 500D over the 450 and so forth for the HD recording, It's a nice addition on top of owning a D-SLR camera and it saves buying a camcorder separately too.

I am aware a camcorder would be more practical than using a D-SLR with the feature to record, but It's just for minor events and casual use, nothing serious the hd recording is a nice addition and I'm getting the camera primarily for photography, not videography :)

That lense you recommended, I've just priced it up and it is in my price range, very affordable especially to get started with, I've found it for £272.00.

I will take what you have said into mind, I'm guessing those models you listed such as the D90 and so forth is better due to, well one reason I can think of is my friends D90 had the screen on the top, useful for on the fly-adjustments in manual mode.

Thank you for the warm welcome bud, All your advice is welcomed with open ears!

Doing a little bit of looking into the 40D now you mentioned it, Found one with a EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 USM I really like it. The money the 500D costs, I could buy a extra lens on top of the 40D for the same price of that of the 500D.

However....I have used my friend Aaron's D90 on many occasions and I fell in love with that thing, I used to hate going back to my D60 haha, I might go for the D90 since I know exactly what I'm getting for my money since I've used it before.

Also I'm more familiar with using a Nikon than a canon since being a previous Nikon owner.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back