Hey Canon!! I'll jump ship if you help!!

LOL@hugging his D4 last year like it was his first born. :biglaugh: Dangit Derrel, my dinner may get cold. Looks like some nice comedy reading.

We get it. Nikon is a gift from the gods! Canon is garbage and should be banished from the face of the earth!!

I have never owned a canon DSLR so...I cant speak from experience there.
BUT, having owned quite a few Nikon DSLR's over the last near decade (D100, D200, D300, D90, D7000, D7100)
I can honestly say that the ability to crop and print has been improved by a ridiculously large amount.
its difficult to explain to someone exactly why anyone would actually need all those MP's, until you try aggressive cropping on a picture from a D90 compared to a D7100. Also, this isn't just something where Nikon rolls out a new camera this year and its compared to cameras from 5 years ago...
Each new sensor has been a noticeable improvement over the last, and i have seen the differences in all of these cameras.

I have not heard the same claim made by Canon owners. I am still a pretty firm believer that the camera is still a small(ish) part of the photographic equation, and i don't honestly think it really matters what system you shoot, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony....if you learn your gear, you will take good pictures. We shoot what my wife's mentor shot. if he had shot Pentax, that's what we would be shooting now, and probably sticking with. I find switching brands to be utterly ridiculous if you have even the most modest investment in a brand already.

That being said....we are very glad he shot Nikon. :mrgreen:

Bribruis... Your post needs a TL:DR because that wall of text as seen on the app.... No
lol. adhd and fast typer is a bad combination....
And i don't know. i don't go back and read what i type. it is too messy with no spaces and my thought process bounces around to fast it doesn't make sense to even me...

And here, I thought it was just RAW. ;-)

Have you noticed the higher mp's coming out now in the lower end lines?? just sayn. And why is it that sony is that way... someone should email them. Your more a pro than i am i figured you would know. i don't know.
and....wish i could print all that out but i cant afford the ink. The ink costs more than the cameras.......

I think they are putting out higher MP in entry level cameras because that's what sells. People walk into Best Buy or Walmart and the highly educated sales staff just knows higher MP is better.. lol. It does make a difference when you go to print or when you go to crop, but really for most images that you just look at on the computer most folks wouldn't know the difference. Me I don't even own a printer anymore, well now that I think about it I still have an old HP laser down in the basement I don't think I've fired it up in over a year, I just don't need hardcopy anymore and when I do want a print of a photo I send it off to a lab and have it professionally printed and mailed back to me - the cost of running a good photo printer is just ridiculous for what little I print.

Don't matter what you buy anyway, next year it is outdated. i have this nice tv. cost me big bucks like YEARS AGO. Figured it would last a long time. And it still works. Only problem is, i cant plug anything into it. All the plugs changed. Buy a game system, cant plug it in. First went to s cable. Then to hdmi. Tv still works. Good thing i bought quality. i cant plug anything into it though. so i go buy a new tv. Has all these plug ins, wifi, hd, 3d. i can surf the net with the thing. watch 3d movies. run laptops off it. Its great. Probably last fifteen years. But they will probably change the plugs again in five years with new technology. And it will be useless again. Course while im tv shopping for the new games system, the game system is now out of date . what if, you buy this last forever 300000 shutter life magnesium alloy body camera. Then next year.. (scary thought) they change the plugs and memory cards.

Two words my friend, Radio Shack. Lol - you can buy converters for dang near anything. Sad thing is though anymore the new TV's are so dang cheap you can almost get one for what a converter will cost you anymore.. lol.

i wonder this. AS im pondering buying a new camera. Course, im dumb enough to buy that tv above, so in time, im sure ill give in and buy a higher end camera. Partly because i could use it (or lie to myself telling myself i need one), partly for status at the local kids soccer game (wow, what kind of camera i that?)But....The lightweight throw away cameras are looking pretty good to me honestly..... Other thing though, i have this tv now, i bet i can plug a camera into it too. so i have a reason for a new camera because i got this tv with this extra plug...
self justification and rationalization is king.

Oh.. well then I'd better have you knight me. Sir Robbins.. does have kind of a nice ring to it - lol. I'll be upgrading my camera body myself pretty quick, going to go with a D7100 soon. I have to admit I don't really "need" it but it has a lot of features I'd like to have, and I figure as many pictures as I take it will be a good investment over the long term. I probably won't upgrade again for quite some time, don't really see myself going full frame.

But... if someone can toss a million of them down a assembly line at seven hundred bucks each with a 30 mp and 20000 iso four 13oz or less a piece. And if it breaks in a few years, well, who cares the plugs will be outdated anyway before long we don't keep anything in this society more than a few years.

Yup.. I hear you. I haven't seen a "repair" shop in ages, for the most part they are become as rare as hens teeth because it's cheaper to buy new than it is to repair anything anymore. A few years ago I used to make a pretty good chunk of change on the side refurbishing old laptops and reselling them or fixing laptops for folks. Anymore though for what it costs in parts and labor they can usually buy a newer, faster one at walmart - so just no money to be made in it anymore.

Remember the polaroid land cameras? i had one of them. Hung onto it as long as i could. finally gave up, bought this polaroid 600 or something. For the size of a body on a full body camera i wonder why it cant print the pictures like a polaroid can...
best thing about Nikon. the old song "i got my Nikon, camera , gonna take a photograph, please don't take my monochrome away" blah blah. i cant remember all the words. But i don't think canon was ever in a song. So Nikon has that going for it...

True.. but then again back in the day when heading off to the battlefield I seriously doubt you could have convinced someone to trade their Cannon for a Nikon.. lol.

"I'll be upgrading my camera body myself pretty quick, going to go with a D7100 soon."
If you don't mind me asking. What makes you lean toward the 7100? ive been looking at the 7100, 800, 600. I need a "all around camera". And cant seem to really find one that fits what I want. The eight hundred is pricey, slower shutter. But amazing images. Files big enough for you to drink a full beer apparently waiting for it to process which could be a issue.. six hundred, well I just read enough bad reviews I pretty much xd that out. The 7100 has great ratings and reviews. Just looking at the images I wasn't overly impressed I guess. course this is right after looking at the 800 and 800e images.. fast shooting action, dark and lowlight, excellent image quality, I really just want it all but no way im paying ten k for a camera body my wife would surely shoot me staying under the tree k range is definitely in my best interest. Like a lot of people though, I kind of do a little of everything? i need to learn, and read up, but also look outside of Nikon at what else is available. id buy a mirrorless camera too or anything really. I actually really like the Olympus but im concerned about the sensor in low light and it being already outdated.. fifteen hundred though, I like the price. Lenses are also a factor. the price of lenses as I acquire a couple to go with the camera. I really should go look at canon again as well. Figure out what I want, then seriously bargain shop as I already missed black Friday deals im not sure what other events during the year will give me thirty percent off...
I kind of like the 800 really. but it being a primary studio slower shutter camera it really isn't for me. I think I just want the clarity and great photos. as im more a outdoor zoom and movement in the dark kind of person...id probably buy it and within a week have buyers remorse because of the combination of money invested and limitations toward what I wanted to do with it.

Last edited:
"I'll be upgrading my camera body myself pretty quick, going to go with a D7100 soon."
If you don't mind me asking. What makes you lean toward the 7100? ive been looking at the 7100, 800, 600. I need a "all around camera". And cant seem to really find one that fits what I want. The eight hundred is pricey, slower shutter. But amazing images. Files big enough for you to drink a full beer apparently waiting for it to process which could be a issue.. six hundred, well I just read enough bad reviews I pretty much xd that out. The 7100 has great ratings and reviews. Just looking at the images I wasn't overly impressed I guess. course this is right after looking at the 800 and 800e images.. fast shooting action, dark and lowlight, excellent image quality, I really just want it all but no way im paying ten k for a camera body my wife would surely shoot me staying under the tree k range is definitely in my best interest. Like a lot of people though, I kind of do a little of everything? i need to learn, and read up, but also look outside of Nikon at what else is available. id buy a mirrorless camera too or anything really. I actually really like the Olympus but im concerned about the sensor in low light and it being already outdated.. fifteen hundred though, I like the price. Lenses are also a factor. the price of lenses as I acquire a couple to go with the camera. I really should go look at canon again as well. Figure out what I want, then seriously bargain shop as I already missed black Friday deals im not sure what other events during the year will give me thirty percent off...
I kind of like the 800 really. but it being a primary studio slower shutter camera it really isn't for me. I think I just want the clarity and great photos. as im more a outdoor zoom and movement in the dark kind of person...id probably buy it and within a week have buyers remorse because of the combination of money invested and limitations toward what I wanted to do with it.

Keep doing what you are doing and you will never buy anything; that will make your wife happy. WIN WIN!

If you don't mind me asking. What makes you lean toward the 7100?

I'm horribly offended you even asked me that question! Rotfl.. ok, no not really, I can't really back that up. At the moment I have a D5100, it's a nice enough setup but I really wanted something with a little higher MP rating because I do shoot wildlife occasionally (though I can't hold a candle to Mrs. Jaca there.. lol) and having the higher quality, larger image to start with gives me some more options when I go to crop.

There are a few other little niceties to the 7100 that I like, the dual card slot, the buttons on the outside so I don't have to use that accursed LCD menu, just a couple of other perks that I rather like to have. The lowlight performance will be good enough for me I think, I've pushed my little D5100 and gotten acceptable results with it so I think the 7100 will improve things enough there that I won't really need full frame.

Three things that really keep me out of full frame would be cost, crop factor and cost. Lol. The vast majority of what I shoot is wildlife so having the crop factor actually comes in handy for me in about 90-95% of the shooting situations I'm in, and it doesn't really bother me when I'm in the other 5-10% of the shooting situations I find myself in so I like having the crop factor.

The cost of a D800 is pretty hefty, almost three times what I'd pay for the D7100 - just no way I can justify that, I don't shoot professionally and never will. Even stepping up to a D610 I'm looking at probably at roughly twice what a D7100 would cost, again a huge step up in budget that could be used to buy a pretty awesome lens instead. For me a D7100 with something like a Sigma 150-500 mm attached makes a lot more sense than a D610 with the kit lens.. lol.

That and I do have some lenses now that I'd have to replace to go full frame, and one of my mainstay lenses - the 70-200 mm Sigma F2.8 works a lot better on a crop sensor than it does on a full frame since I'm using the "sweet spot" of the glass.

Me I'm not looking at mirrorless anytime soon - I'd much rather give it a lot more time and let them get a lot of the stuff ironed out before I even consider looking in that direction. I'm happy as a clam with the DSLR for now and will probably stay that course for quite some time to come. I'm a pretty big guy with large ape like paws and honestly most mirrorless (other than the ones that are built pretty much to look like DSLR's) feel like toy's in my hands. I'm not tremendously coordinated to boot, so I like a bigger, heftier camera.

With innovation like this, it's difficult to know which Canon model to go with... $200 Million per quarter spent on imaging R&D on Canon's part...

Last edited by a moderator:

Keep doing what you are doing and you will never buy anything; that will make your wife happy. WIN WIN!
It always works this way. she sees me reading up on something. she gets nervous. she sees me looking at prices. she gets more nervous. Then one day I just come home with it. (car, boat, whatever). she kind of sulks and gets a little upset over it. If it isn't ALOT of money she will gain the slight sarcasm about it. If it is A LOT she just gets real quiet. wont really say much. The silent treatment. Then comes the cold phase, that lasts a few days. But usually within a couple weeks she wants to go out on the boat or in the new car or whatever it is. And she gets over it. I also remind her that she spends a lot more than I do in little increments. Just when I spend money (which I almost never do) it is in the thousands. But still equals all her little increments..i just do it all in one shot. It is a good thing really. Means I have consideration for her. I still pretty much do what I want, but I still think of her at the same time and take her opinion into consideration. I also pay for my own stuff, all the bills, the house , the kids stuff, and even her stuff. So she is pretty limited in being able to actually tell me no. Just gives me silent treatments...:mrgreen:
If I came home with the 800, I would probably get a combination of sarcasm followed by silent treatment for a day. The six hundred, probably just a little sarcasm. If I spend under a couple k total, she probably wont even say anything just kind of the "uh huh" look. Under fifteen hundred or maybe a grand, I don't think she would even really notice it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back