Hey guys! Newbie here.

steve1578

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, a little bit about me!

I'm 19, and lately life has been great, and I've finally realized it's time to find a hobby. I'm not setting out to make this a profession, so I'm not going top of the line camera.
I was thinking about the Canon EOS Rebel t3 as a beginner camera? BestBuy is retailing it for 549.99, which is right about the price I wanted to find. I'm really big into the wilderness, and things that and places that are hard to forget, so my albums will consist mostly of that. If anyone has any tips or anything for me, that'd be greatly appreciated! Just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully get to know the community a bit better! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see someone starting out in digital photography. As a guide to the choice of a new DSLR, you may want to review some of the criteria here: How to Buy a Digital Camera – A 9 Step Guide. While not the definitive site on choosing a new DSLR, it gives you some ideas for assessing what it is that you want. Also, this one - Digital Camera Shopping - Use a Checklist When Digital Camera Shopping

You didn't tell us what your overall budget is for this acquisition. If you are going into "wilderness" photography, are you going for landscapes, wildlife, or what, regardless you will probably want to acquire some sort of telephoto and maybe even a wide angle lens for work in this area. As far as places and things that are hard to forget, well not sure what these are, but it sounds like a lens something along the line of the 24-105 mm zoom would be what you might consider here.

The Canon T3 is a decent, entry level camera for someone who is just starting out, and if it is what you can afford, then it should be okay and you can learn a lot from this unit until you wish to upgrade to a model with more capabilities. The alternative is to think about buying a used T2i. I am not sure that the Best Buy at $549.99, is in fact a best buy as B&H are selling the T3 with an 18-55mm IS II lens for $449.00 US - Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II 5157B002 B&H and I do believe that this comes with free shipping. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see someone starting out in digital photography. As a guide to the choice of a new DSLR, you may want to review some of the criteria here: How to Buy a Digital Camera – A 9 Step Guide. While not the definitive site on choosing a new DSLR, it gives you some ideas for assessing what it is that you want. Also, this one - Digital Camera Shopping - Use a Checklist When Digital Camera Shopping

You didn't tell us what your overall budget is for this acquisition. If you are going into "wilderness" photography, are you going for landscapes, wildlife, or what, regardless you will probably want to acquire some sort of telephoto and maybe even a wide angle lens for work in this area. As far as places and things that are hard to forget, well not sure what these are, but it sounds like a lens something along the line of the 24-105 mm zoom would be what you might consider here.

The Canon T3 is a decent, entry level camera for someone who is just starting out, and if it is what you can afford, then it should be okay and you can learn a lot from this unit until you wish to upgrade to a model with more capabilities. The alternative is to think about buying a used T2i. I am not sure that the Best Buy at $549.99, is in fact a best buy as B&H are selling the T3 with an 18-55mm IS II lens for $449.00 US - Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital Camera and 18-55mm IS II 5157B002 B&H and I do believe that this comes with free shipping. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Hey, thanks a lot for the response!

As for what I'll be shooting, mostly everything you listed, as in landscapes, wildlife, flora, fauna, etc. And by things that are hard to forget, in a sense I mean the same thing. Just finding something beautiful, a beautiful landscape, and being an awe. I want to set myself a goal on something I'd like to capture, and search for it until I get exactly what I want. I just think it will be an overall great experience, and a great way to spend some free time on the weekends. And thanks for that link! Definitely a better deal it seems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back