Hey People! New Guy With Hopefully New Questions!

Handoogies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there, brand new to this forum, but not to others such as shanghaiexpat.com. I am an expat living in Shanghai, secure in life, and has decided to take up photography as a new passion after me recently joining the 30-somethings club.

My goals are to get to know my new Canon 7D intimately, and photograph staged/cinematic sets with models, lights, scene design, etc. I really dig the work of Annie Liebowitz. Stuff like that. I actually have access to a movie studio here in Shanghai so I thought why not take advantage.

Anyways this is just a hello. I will be posting some really dumb questions and I do have thick skin, so I would appreciate any pointers the resident posters here can give. I had lot's of fun on the last forum and I genuinely hope this one will be the same.

All the best,

Hank.

Welcome to the party, Hank!!!
Jump right in and start posting!!

Feeling the love already!

Ok first question; there is currently a shortage of Canon L lenses in Asia (and supposedly the rest of the world due to the tsunami). I had wanted to get the 24-70 2.8 as my first 'learner' lens as it was recommended to me by a few pro photogs I know, but they are sold out everywhere including BH! I have decided on the 24mm f/1.4L as my camera has a cropped sensor. The pros I know all tell me to get to know how to compose a shot on a prime lens before exploring into wide/telephoto lenses. Can anyone recommend an even better lens in my situation?

Some background: I don't like buying cheap things in my hobby's, like golf, tennis, etc. I want pro grade stuff I can grow into. But my current budget only allows for one pro lens for the next few months of learning. What else would you steer me towards? I picked up a 430 Speedlight today as well, but the lens shortage is driving me a bit nuts!

Thanks all.

ebay. white paper.

The 24 1.4L is a significantly better performer at 2.8 than the 24-70 is at 24/2.8. If 24 is the focal length you're looking for, you can't do much better optically except maybe the Zeiss 21mm 2.8, but then you lose autofocus and 2 stops of aperture. I don't know if I'd want my "only lens" (even if temporary or whatever) to be a 24 though, I'd probably be looking at the 35mm 1.4L, although really that depends on how you intend to shoot. Another lens to consider is the 85mm 1.8 (not as an alternative to the wide angle, just worth considering). It's priced extremely low for the performance it provides and is a useful focal length that will feel much different from whatever wide angle you end up with.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum!

I'd probably be looking at the 35mm 1.4L, although really that depends on how you intend to shoot. Another lens to consider is the 85mm 1.8 (not as an alternative to the wide angle, just worth considering). !

totally agree.
with a crop frame camera, the 35 mm will give you a slightly longer 'look' and you will get to learn sneaker-zoom.
stick with L glass, if you can.

I want to know about your kart, assuming that's you in your avatar. I race both shifters and single gear karts. (Birel chassis', Honda CR-125, Parilla Leopard TAG, Yamaha KT-100).

For me photography was/is a business, racing is my hobby.

For me photography was/is a business, racing is my hobby.
Ha, then we are the (almost) exact opposite. I co-own a indoor go-kart track/lounge in Shanghai, while photography is becoming a hobby of mine!
You can check out our website at ?????|?????|????????|Stampede karting. The idea was to combine a night club with a indoor go-kart track. Only in China.

Cheers.

I'd probably be looking at the 35mm 1.4L, although really that depends on how you intend to shoot. Another lens to consider is the 85mm 1.8 (not as an alternative to the wide angle, just worth considering). !

totally agree.
with a crop frame camera, the 35 mm will give you a slightly longer 'look' and you will get to learn sneaker-zoom.
stick with L glass, if you can.
Yup. My concern though was that I want something somewhat wide to get some interior design/group shots, and with a 24mm my 7D would translate to about 38mm. I do also intend on just buying the best lenses, if for anything, they seem to hold their value well if I ever decide to quit this pursue.

Most reactions

Back