Hey Photographers!

evanGR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm Evan, a Greek Skate Photographer!
I'm kindda new to both TPF and photography.

I own a Olympus C-5050 ZOOM, and i am planning to upgrade on either a NIKON D40 or a SONY Cybershot DSC-H9! Which one do you suggest?

~evan

I'm only age 14, but I think I have persuaded my parents to buy me a used Nikon D80 for christmas. I think you should look into a D80 too, I heard it has many advantages over a D40, plus a D80 has more lens choices.

It's up to you. But I would personally try to skip over the D40/D40x series.

You are right, D80 has more advantages but i am not willing to pay 750-900 +lens for a begginer's camera.

welcome to the forum :)

don't know much about the cameras you mention though :(

I had a d40x for a few months, it was a wonderful little camera to learn on. The d40 I imagine is the same. You are limited to AF-S Lenses, so that kind of sucks. I think if you start with a couple of the consumer grade lenses just to learn on, you'll still get some very good pictures, the lenses just aren't rugged by any means because the build quality is very cheap.

I had a d40x for a few months, it was a wonderful little camera to learn on. The d40 I imagine is the same. You are limited to AF-S Lenses, so that kind of sucks. I think if you start with a couple of the consumer grade lenses just to learn on, you'll still get some very good pictures, the lenses just aren't rugged by any means because the build quality is very cheap.

so would you suggest it to me? I don't think i'll need so many lenses. I just need a Wide angle, and a fisheye lens.

You are right, D80 has more advantages but i am not willing to pay 750-900 +lens for a begginer's camera.

If you buy the D40 you will be paying big dollars for a lens if you want it to work with AF

I went from an Olympus c3000z to a D80 & love it. I highly recommend getting a used D80 body & then heading down to a good local shop & picking up a decent used lens or just a new 50mm/1.8. I got by real cheap. The camera was only used for a month and is in excellent condition.

D40(x) has a limitation, not every lens will perform optimum on this camera, it's not the quality but the auto focus. In term of Nikkor only, just any AF-S lenses will do fine, but the rest AF lenses will not going to auto focus with D40(x), you have to do it manually. If you don't mind with this limitation then go for it.

the D80 is not a beginner camera, don't worry... (entry-level, beginner, semi-advance, professional, etc) are just how the camera maker differentiate the specs, durability, options and the material between their product, but not the image quality. Superb image quality needs more than just a camera itself.

I've seen a lot of REAL pro are still using D40 or any similar 'beginner-level' camera because of their less-weight, but the result are still as amazing as coming from their 'pro-level' camera.

Just bought my d40 I'm pretty hafppy with it so far. Id say go for that. People will tell you otherwise its a personal opinion. If you are just starting I'd say the d40 because you will be a lot less confused with that than the 80... In my opinion...

I agree with itoncool. If you don't mind the limitation the D40X offers as far as lenes, it is a good beginner camera.

Here in the states you can get a kit for the D40X now that comes with (I think) the body, 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens and some other accessories for around $1000.

Other smaller packages can be had for around $750.

The 55-200mm lens is around $250 with Vibration Reduction, which comes in really handy.

Hey all!~
My first post! :lol:

And i say go for the D40. I am a newbie who juz got my D40 less than a year, but definitely satisfied with it.

Loves the mobility of the D40, the feel as compared to D70 - D80.
I think the sensor on D40 is a newer one as compared to my friend's D80.
Apparently we tried out the same settings and it came out better on the D40 due to the image sensor.

Well get a feel of the cameras before you decide.. You'll be holding on to it for some time.. =)

welcome, I would recommend the D40 over the H9, simply due to the type of camera. Try them both, see what you like. the D40 is a great starter SLR however it does have limitations as others mentioned, particularly in the Lens selection. Also look into a Canon XT or XTi, great beginner SLR and will work with the full range of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

welcome, I would recommend the D40 over the H9, simply due to the type of camera. Try them both, see what you like. the D40 is a great starter SLR however it does have limitations as others mentioned, particularly in the Lens selection. Also look into a Canon XT or XTi, great beginner SLR and will work with the full range of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.

If the shop has it you may consider purchase of an Olympus E-510.

I'd skip the D40 and go for a D80 too.

You want to buy in to a system that can expand and with that system you're stuck into the new lenses only.

Most reactions

Back