Hi All

sheep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all i am a total newb to photography to this extreme , but i am hoppin to learn, i have just been offered a contract supplying photos in postcard form by my local shop, i have 2 questions

1.Who do you recommend for printing your photos onto postcards

2.What is an ideal starter kit for someone like me with the job in hand.

I have made a forum for storring my photos on, as i cant efford to copyright all my images, so i am posting them there as then i have a time and date record for any challenges, all the areas on there are private and im doing it free at this time, any of you are welcome to use it, just let me know and i will create a private area only you can see, like i say it IS not a forum, just a record storage instead of copyrighting costings.

Heres a couple of my shots as you can see i am a commercial fisherman so nearly all my images are marine orientated

BigSeaIsland.jpg

100_0022.jpg

Sunset.jpg

Sunset1.jpg

regards sheep

Last edited:
Are you using a point and shoot? The exposure on all the above pictures is off pretty badly.

Thnx for your reply , its an old old camera , and prob not right , i posted the shots to show what kind of enviroments i will mainly be photographing so anyone could recommend a setup that would suit my target theme , ie best suited filters , camera (digital) etc etc

@ crimsonandwhite many thanks for your welcome not, i like and accept critism , but suggestive remedy would of been nice.

Can anyone suggest a good setup in digital format that would be a good starter also what filters does anyone use while photographing in the marine enviroment and during eve and dawn ?

regards

There are a ton of different setups that would work for you. It depends on what you want to get out of the pictures you are taking from your boat (ship?).

If you are just looking to take similar pictures to the ones that you posted, a point and shoot would be more than fine. Most point and shoots don't give you a lot of options as far as the filters and attachments go but its all up to you.

If I were in your situation I would pack a circular polarizer, my 70-200mm or longer for anything that you might spot out in the water and want to get close up shots of. And a wide angle (I have a 17-50mm f/2.8) for the landscape shots like the ones that you posted.

A Canon 1DMKIII with several weathersealed lenses. That's as good as I can reccomend without budget/shooting environment, etc...

excellent many thanks guys, yeah weather seal sounds like a good option as it tends to get a bit damp every now and again lol , but also the zoom would definately come in handy for the Dolphins and sharks that like to keep thier distance.

Thanks guys i appreciate your help.

A Canon 1DMKIII with several weathersealed lenses. That's as good as I can reccomend without budget/shooting environment, etc...

I like the sound of that.

LOL at 2,300 gbp no wonder its good lol i bit outta my price range at the mo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

that camera means overshooting it a bit... you can have cheaper cams which would serve your purpose! remember, you need lenses too! :)

yep ive found a couple im going to go have a look this week to PC world over here and lens

Going to look at
spacer.gif
Nikon

D40 18-55mm KIT

6 million pixel DSLR

Sheep, I know little about equipment but what struck me about your pictures is that the horizons are not level in some. This is something to watch. Pitching boat maybe eh. ;)

Hi Ron , yeah its never totally flat calm out there making looking through a view finder and keeping straight a problem lol, but someone did say to me a while ago now to use Photoshop to adjust this where you can.

Is this generally accepted in photography manipulation of the original image ?

Crooked horizon is easy to fix in post processing.

As far as what you need... I always find it an interesting question, becuase to find out what one needs, you need to know the:

- budget of the buyer
- experience level
- expectations (immediate and future)
- needs (immediate and future)

It is easy to tell someone "go spend $25,000 on a camera, this will get you what you want..." becusae its a safe bet it will for that rediculous amount of cash...but it is just silly to ask for definitive info without providing ALL the info needed to make an educated suggestion, becuase that makes it a guess, and if you think about it a moment, your guess will always be better than someone else's when it comes to YOUR money, so asking is basically... useless.

I will take a guess and say that a Nikon D80 with a mid-level zoom lens will get you what you want.

I think the first thing to take into account when buying a camera to do something like this is to buy a camera that you are not going to put your finger in front of the lens when shooting. You will also I agree with the others need to buy a camera that has weather sealing. In the conditions you are shooting in if you start using a camera that is not somewhat weather sealed you will be buying one soon enough when the cheaper one you get dies.

Most reactions

Back