Hi all!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by aha, Nov 1, 2003.

1. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Welcome Abi!
    There's something for everyone here so have fun!

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It isn't always as easy to see the creative process in a photographic print as it is in a sculpture or painting. We have a tendency to view photos as copies of reality; "seeing is believing" (although the digital revolution is altering our perceptions of photography as truth). Henri Carter-Bresson called photography "the artless art", and although we now know him mostly as a photographer, he always considered photography to be a tool for his painting.

I shoot a lot of BW landscape, but even so I was first attracted to Adam's writings because of the technical info rather than any amazement of his subject matter. But after reading about what went into each of his images (both thought processes and technique) I gained a lot more respect for his work. I think every kind of photographer should at least read the first chapter in each of his books "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print", and if you're into BW film photography you should definately read them all the way through. They are filled with examples of the making of his photos.

I was trying to find an Adam's quote (not that quotes prove anything, I just think they are useful info about how a person thinks), but I couldn't. It's somewhere in those books. It says something to the effect that if a photographer puts little or no effort into an image, then it's a snapshot. But if the photographer is willing to invest the thinking, energy, and time that a painter is willing to invest in a painting, then the photographer is creating something that can be as fine as a painting or sculpture.

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

After all these years I can only consider myself a student of photography. The beauty of the medium (Like most) is that it can be taken on a lot of different levels. Sometimes in my infinite wisdom, I will shoot 20 frames of a subject that never looked as good as when I first randomly stumbled on it. I sort of kinda believe that few photos are perfect. The only thing that i do know for sure is TAKE A LOT OF PHOTOS.

4. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I read an article about National Geographic mag that said they shoot 10,000 images for every one published.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Minor White confessed that if he got 12 good photos a year he was doing well. Or was it per lifetime.[/img]

6. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Adam's said that one good photo a month is a good month, twelve good photos a year is an amazing year.

7. aha

aha TPF Noob!

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback, keep it coming! I now need permision from anyone to use quotes from them in my paper? Just let me know, that would be great! Thank you soo much.
    ~Abi

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Now I have a Minor White qoute? or an Adams qoute. My history isn't what it used to be, but I will confirm all details.

9. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit

It could be a Minor White quote, but I'm sure I read it in an Adam's book. He may have been quoting White.