Hi. I'm a Person.

Person

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My parents have figured that they aren't the least bit interested in photography; just interested in the usual 'stand infront of monument and take tourist shot' type of thing.

They gave me this Nikon D3000 with (what I'm reading) a 18-55mm AF-S NIKKOR lens. I'm not sure if its relevant but I'm not sure on the difference between the point and shoots and the SLRs (besides focus control).

I do have a grasp of ISO, fStop and Shutter Speed.

I'm going to upload a few photos from yesterday as I was messing around. I'd love some feedback and advice.

TL;DR: Nikon Camera newbie who sort of understands ISO, fStop, and Shutter Speed. Help appreciated.

Here's the link to some of the things I've taken in the last couple of days.

Flickr: lifewashed's Photostream

Last edited:
short answer-

that model vs a point and shoot is kind like buying a Ford Fusion Hybrid over a Kia. There's still higher options out there but you get more features and better technology with the step up.

it has a larger sensor which allows for better quality images if everything else were equal. color, noise, etc are all better quality with modern slr sensors.

you can change lenses giving you new ways to view the world and the ability to work with more powerful on and off camera flash.

there's more fine tuning of options of all kinds

one thing you can see, all the shallow depth of field photos (where the subject is sharp and the rest isn't) is much more possible with a larger sensor.

one downside is closeup photos are easier and cheaper with a smaller sensor.

Hi. I'm a Person.

Like I tell the kids...... you're not a person until your name appears in my phone book. :lol:

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the D3000. Its a great camera.

Especially for the price. ;)

Most reactions

Back