Hi, I'm having problems with my wide angle lens

photoflix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm new here!

Could someone help me, please - I bought a 58mm wide angle lens off eBay for my Fuji S9600, it came with an attached macro lens. However, if I unscrew the macro lens from the wide angle, the wide angle can't be screwed on to my camera on its own, the threads on my camera and the lens are both 'introverted'. Do I need to buy a 58mm adapter ring?

Also, when I attach my wide angle lens (which is 0.45x) or my telephoto lens (which is 2x) I get vignetting. How do I prevent this?

All help is much appreciated! If I need to post this somewhere else, please let me know where.

Thank you! :D

the focal length is 58mm? because that isn't wide angle last i checked. im guessing you're looking at the circumference of the lens. 58mm is usually a measurement if you decide to buy filters or lens caps to fit the front of your camera.

so if that's the case, the 58mm wide angle lens, is really just a 58mm threaded "wide angle adapter"
now i have no idea why you would buy something with an attached macro lens. is it an actual lens that the person sent you?

you would have to buy an adapter ring for it, is my guess.

as for your problem with vignetting, that's what happens when you buy those kinds of "lenses" off ebay. they're cheapo and aren't necessarily built for your camera, which can conflict with your lenses that you may already have for your fuji.

it's easier in the long run to just buy actual lenses (not pieces of effects glass that screw on top of another lens) with focal lengths that are actually wide angled, macro, etc.

some pictures would be helpful to further figure out your situation. pictures of the camera itself and the threading mishap.

Yes, sorry, 58mm is the circumference of the lens, it's to fit on my 58mm camera lens.

This is the item I bought: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180495742739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_7294wt_1039

Here are some photos:
The wide angle lens - it's called Digital High Definition 0.45x Super Wide Angle Lens With Macro, Japan Optics (Neewer)
DSCF8494.jpg

The photo the wide angle lens produces (with the macro lens attached):
DSCF8495.jpg

The camera itself, Fuji Finepix S9600 (image quality not that good due to using phone camera):
07042011115.jpg

I've tried taking the macro lens off the wide angle and holding the wide angle in front of the camera, but the vignetting seems to be worse.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
EDIT: misread your problem I think...

So you can attach the macro tube directly to your camera replacing your 28-300 or does it screw onto your 28-300 lens? The wide angle should screw onto your 28-300 if the 28-300 is a 58mm. Please note that referring to your lens as part of your camera is not really accurate and confused the heck out of me.

If the threads for the wide angle are female and your 28-300 threads are female, then you will need some sort of gender bender to mount it by itself.

Last edited:
Oops, sorry for using the wrong references there.

The macro half screws onto my 28-300 lens, but the wide angle and the 28-300 lens are both 'female'. (That's the word I was looking for!)

What I'd like to know is, have I bought the wrong lens? Is my camera not capable of using this lens the way I thought it would (as a proper wide angle lens for me to use with landscapes, seascapes, etc.), or the lens is wrong?

It's not a lens. Your getting vignetting because you have increased the length of your lens and it's now capturing the metal parts of that screw on wide angle. As far as using the screw on wide angle, It really doesn't work and just lowers the picture quality.

That wide angle lens isn't meant to be attached directly to the camera. It's to give an existing lens a wider field of view. It's not for macro shots. Macro shots are close-up shots and for that you need a dedicated macro lens which is expensive or maybe get an extension ring. I have one of those .45X adapters but i don't use it. If i want to go wider i just take a few shots up and down and across and stitch them...

Thanks for your help, guys. I hadn't realised before that I had actually bought conversion lenses, the listing on eBay didn't mention that vital thing!

I've arranged to return the telephoto and wide angle lenses to them, and get my money back!

Good decision... those things are basically gimmicks unless you're going for a very unusual effect. Unfortunately, if you want to get wider, you'll need to buy a true lens. However, for macro, you can buy extension rings which work quite well and are cheaper than a macro lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back