Hi! I'm new here and have a question

Sonic the Hedgehog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello fellow photographers!

I just joined today to these forums because I really like photography and want to be a photographer.

I'm studying photography in school and I have to investigate what are all the different kinds of paper... you know, matte, semi-matte, glossy, etc. And what are they characteristics... I really need to know this!

I hope that in the future I can show my pictures here! See you later :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say: I'm studying B&W photography, so what I need to know are the black and white types of paper, not the color types (just in case youa re wondering) :)

next door but 16... Philip :)

I went to a digital darkroom in 1998, you should see the room that's full of broken old printers, scanners and PC's. Just WHAT do you do with all that stuff. I'm loath to send it to land fill, but in the country there's no real option.

I have to say I don't miss the hours spent in the dark choking on the chemical fumes though.

PP

Sonic:

With the various papers, you wind up getting different effects.
An older paper that was widely popular was the old Kodak medalist paper. its silver content was lo high, that it made metal look like metal in photographs. The main point is that the poly contrast papers are for variable contrast photographs. (Day to day stuff.) The Matt is for the purpose of setting the tone of a smooth photo i.e. portraits and the like. Simi-gloss helps with photos that are are professional in tone, but you want more of a 'glittery pop'. The gloss helps with color.

You also have various grades or weights of paper. The higher the number, the thicker the paper. You also have 'rag' paper which is made not from wood pulp, but like money is made from cotton. This is a stronger paper, and you can have various effects on the paper as a result. Such as rough surface to give a feel of an old medieval painting, or (gasp I say it) Da Vinci drawing. Variable contrast paper which is basically poly contrast but with more latitude, and a host of other variates of weight, style, texture and even color.

Try this link from answer.com:

http://www.answers.com/topic/photographic-paper-1

Most reactions

Back