Hi there, beginner here. When i use my strobe lighting it abs

Vicky333

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When i use a flash or strobe it makes my photos completely white. What am i doing wrong??.

Ever heard of TTL? Flash photography is a bit tricky but, if you
invest some time and brains into it, it will be most rewarding.

I will second that. TTL lets the camera adjust the flash duration for the needed exposure. In the late years of SLRs many cameras could exert at least rudimentary control over the duration of compatible flashes (like my Pentax K-1000 with its matching Pentax AF 160SA flash). If the camera can't adjust the flash you may need to calculate the flash setting based mainly upon the distance to the subject and adjust duration and aperture manually accordingly.

I will second that. TTL lets the camera adjust the flash duration for the needed exposure. In the late years of SLRs many cameras could exert at least rudimentary control over the duration of compatible flashes (like my Pentax K-1000 with its matching Pentax AF 160SA flash). If the camera can't adjust the flash you may need to calculate the flash setting based mainly upon the distance to the subject and adjust duration and aperture manually accordingly.
Thank you so much. I bet thats where im going wrong. Distance is key

Distance? Yes and output too!
Yeah iv tried this afternoon and being in a small room i had limited space for softbox so i tried in a bigger room with strobe further away and my picture was fine

Can you adjust the power of the strobe down? You might down load a cell phone app for a light meter. In case you don't know the inverse square rule, the intensity of the light decreases by the square of the distance. Ie, the further the flash is from the subject, the lower the intensity at the subject. Think your car headlights, the further from the car the weaker til they don't illuminate at all. You don't say whether a speedlight or studio strobe, but either way, putting it in a softbox with single or double diffusion material will eat light as well and soften the shadow edge transitions. Oh, if you are in a small room, you can bounce off the wall, some light will be lost to the wall, and it will have to travel further than aimed straight at subject. If you don't have an umbrella, look at the corner of the ceiling, 3 surfaces meeting. Think bouncing the light into that free "umbrella"

Can you adjust the power of the strobe down? You might down load a cell phone app for a light meter. In case you don't know the inverse square rule, the intensity of the light decreases by the square of the distance. Ie, the further the flash is from the subject, the lower the intensity at the subject. Think your car headlights, the further from the car the weaker til they don't illuminate at all. You don't say whether a speedlight or studio strobe, but either way, putting it in a softbox with single or double diffusion material will eat light as well and soften the shadow edge transitions. Oh, if you are in a small room, you can bounce off the wall, some light will be lost to the wall, and it will have to travel further than aimed straight at subject. If you don't have an umbrella, look at the corner of the ceiling, 3 surfaces meeting. Think bouncing the light into that free "umbrella"
Thank you so so much this has really helped

Thank you so so much this has really helped
It is a simple matter of science. Light (like all electromagnetic radiation) obeys the inverse square law. The illumination falling on an object at 20 feet from a light source is 1/4 of what it is at a distance of 10 feet from that same light source.

Most reactions

Back