Hi - totally new to this

mattlacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi People,

Just found this forum searching for random hints and tips etc. I've finally got myself a DSLR, I was getting fed up with missing shots from my Sony P&S - I want pictures when I press the button, not a little while after!

I've got a D40X, was aiming for a D40 but asked my folks to pick me one up on their travels through Hong Kong and that's what they came back with. I've gotta say I love it and I'm looking forward to getting better with it, most of the time I'm relying on trial and error (gotta love digital cams for instant feedback!)

Any comments on this image would be appreciated, at the time I actually took a step back to get the reflection of the sun in, in retrospect I think that was a bad choice. Also it's over exposed in areas but not too bad. It was taken in Rotorua, NZ. I guess having dramatic scenery is kinda cheating :)

rotorua.jpg

It's a great subject!! It could use a little work in PS to really pop, and get those flair spots outta there, but it's an awesome photo. Where'd you take it?

I love that picture!
Absolutely amazing. Nice shot.

That's a great shot! There's such a huge dynamic range there that it's difficult to get a good expsoure, but I'd say you nailed it.

Awesome shot!! Actually, if you wanted, you could crop the bottom bit with the over exposed reflection. But either way, that's a great shot!

Awesome shot!! Actually, if you wanted, you could crop the bottom bit with the over exposed reflection. But either way, that's a great shot!

I have to say I prefer the top half of the picture to the bottom half.
I think cropping it might make it a better shot, but I wish I could take a shot like that.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

kidchill - it was on a recent holiday to a town called Rotorua in New Zealand, this was just in a public park in town! It's an amazing place, lots of geothermal activity - you can see some small bubbles in the water in that picture, I don't know how hot it was but I didn't want to find out either!

I'll get a few more pics from there up sometime, there's another of the same bush but without the sky + reflection, looks a lot more eerie but it's unfortunately off centre!

Wow, New Zealand looks to be an amazing place! No wonder they shot Lord of the Rings there!

I'll get a few more pics from there up sometime, there's another of the same bush but without the sky + reflection, looks a lot more eerie but it's unfortunately off centre!

Sometimes pictures that are off centre are some of the best pictures :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back