What's new

High Contrast Exposure: Center-weighted and Spot Metering Help!

The Hue

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess you could say I'm new to photography, even though I've been taking photographs since a teenager, I've just recently gotten into the hard core digital photography. I've been reading up on techniques and what not, mostly right now learning about exposure. I've read that in high contrast situations using center-weighted or spot metering can give you a good reading so that you don't have clipping. And the way to do that is by metering the mid-tones. So I understand the concept. Execution is not there. I guess I just can't find the mid-tones? Does anyone understand this concept or have any suggestions?
 
The stuff between pitch black and pure white ...

Usually what they mean is meter an object that in the middle of the darkest and brightest part of the scene. Your camera's histogram can help you with that also.

Though, this also may not be the best exposure. Like Torus stated ... if in doubt use exposure bracketing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom