High Diver

Rick Waldroup

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.rickwphotography.com
81426244.jpg

Cracking shot, I really like this. My only criticism is I'm finding the structure to the left distracting.

But still, a lovely shot.

I don't find the structure to the left that distracting at all, I think it adds to the shot as it really gives a good scale to judge the person's size on.

Yep Steve, whenever I show this to anyone, the structure on the left always comes up. Some like it, a lot of people don't. It is a very large lightpole.

Thanks for the feedback. It is interesting to see what other people think about the shot.

Thanks Trenton and Joey. You guys posted while I was writing my response to Steve.

Yes, I feel that the lightpole helps give scale to the shot, but there are a lot of people who disagree.

this is a really nice shot. the silhouettes are great. how high up is that by the way?

this is a really nice shot. the silhouettes are great. how high up is that by the way?

I'm not quite sure. It is not nearly as high as it looks. I shot this with a wide angle lens which tends to distort the distance a bit. I also got very close to the pole which also makes it appear bigger than it really is.

If I was guessing, I would say maybe 30-40 feet? I am terrible at estimating distance though. :confused:

This shot pretty much came out the way I envisioned it. I knew I would be converting it to B&W, as I do most of the stuff I shoot. These guys had just started their performance when a really bad storm started moving in. I mean this storm moved in fast. By the time the diver climbed to the top, a slight rain started to fall and I got myself in posiition to shoot it. By the time he hit the tank below, the rain started coming down and the divers were through for the day. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words.

i don't like the pole, the rest grate

Thanks Jeff. I think most of the people I show this to, do not like the pole. I tried several different crops, and to me, without the pole, it looked weird.

My intentions were to shoot one with the lightpole and one without, but I never had the chance because of the storm. :x

Great shot- I like the diagonal line going this way and that way.

Ummm... his arms weren't in the correct position.

<ppfftt> What am I saying?!? Great capture. I think the pole on the left adds character to the shot. I don't think you could've framed this any different unless you were in the pool!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

David, are his arms really out of position?

I have no clue as I know absolutely nothing about diving. :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back