high end hybrids vs super entry level D-SLR's

Halfey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,
sorry to bambard this forum with "noob" questions, but i guess that is what this forum is partially for,,,anyways

my budget is puting me in the high end hybrid/fixed lense cameras..i have found some with enough versatility and creative control to get by for the mean time.

if i'm going to break in to entry level dslr's im looking at the nikon d-40 because of the low $$$, but only 6.1 megapix as aposed to 10 megapix in a hybrid.

my question,,,,it dosent feel right spending more $$$ on a camera that has less mp,,,what would be better a d-40 @ 6.1 or a fixed lense @ 10....as far as image quality (also considering largr prints)?????:confused:

P.S. thank you all,,your input is greatley praised:D

The sensor in the D40 is larger. Instead of cramming 20 people in a Volkswagon (for the 10 mp fixed lens) you're only putting in like 5 (the D40 sensor)

Make sense? :)

~Michael~

The sensor in the D40 is larger. Instead of cramming 20 people in a Volkswagon (for the 10 mp fixed lens) you're only putting in like 5 (the D40 sensor)
Actually, it's more like cramming 10 people into a Volkswagon (still ridiculous) or comfortably seating 6 in a minivan.

Simple answer: D40. It definitely will have better image quality despite having a lower resolution. Fewer pixels, but better pixels. 6MB is plenty for most uses and probably anything you will ever print.

thanks of the info guys

Agree that mpx is not what you want to make a decision on for buying a camera.

If you're not 100% on a dSLR, then you might want to consider the high end digicams. I spent a little time this past weekend playing with the Canon G10. I was thinking of selling one of my dSLRs, but now more likel;y to add to the collection.

As far as the D40 is concerned, it is quite capable and should suit your needs. Welcome to the dark side. :lol:

You said creative control, Go with the D40, Since the MGP has been covered....Optics are superior, High ISO capability is superior amung many others.

The high end hybrid/fixed lense cameras may have the internal creative controll you seek but it's limited by the single lens, With the full blown SLR you can get faster or slower lenses better suited to your needs and not have to rely on a 2.8-4.5 or what ever it maybe for which ever camera chosen. Additionally, filters, focal extentions (teleconverters), and macro extenders are either seriously restricted and/or inexistant, again pending camera chosen.

I'll throw in a vote here to go for the D40. I am a bit biased, since that's what I have, but I love the image quality and it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I can print photo quality 8x10's without any resizing at all, and I bet I could get a perfectly nice 16x20 or so with some smooth interpolation. (Haven't tried that yet though)

what would you guys say to the sony alpha 200 vs the D-40,,,$50 more for 4 more mp? (i know......i shouldn't be so stuck on mp's....i wand to get every penny out of this investment) how would you compare the two?:hail:

It's largely irrelevant.

What is relevant is how comfortable they feel in your hands, whether you like the layout of the controls, etc. Personally, I find Sony's viewfinders to be crap and their controls to be sporadic and random. Nikon just seems to put everything exactly where it belongs.

Pretty much choose any dSLR that you like, they are all wolds better than any point&shoot or bridge camera.

The important point to remember is that whislt a DSLR is a better camera than even the advanced point and shoots - they are not a one time investment.
If you are just after one camera to do it all then go for the hybrid/advanced level point and shoot
However if quality is important to you and you are willing to invest beyond the inital DSLR purchase in more lenses, flashes, tripods and other accessories then go for the DSLR. In the long term it will offer greater flexability and quality as you get lenses to suit your needs.

Also lenses (if of good enough quality - ie not budget lenses) keep their quality and are likley to last you many decades whilst the body you might upgrade to a newer model in some years.

Good glass is more important than MP's
seconded for truth!

Interesting! Shows that the Sony A200 has better image quality and resolution than the Nikon D40.

It is easy to say that bigger pixels at 6 megapixels means less noise than smaller pixels at 10 megapixels but the lab tests do NOT confirm it. At ISO 1600 the difference was .1 on the noise difference between the two cameras. The Nikon D40 did not have ISO 3200, so comparison with the Sony was not possible at that level.

Moreover the Nikon D40 tested at 1540 lines of resolution which determines the sharpness of the image. The Sony A200 tested out at 2150 lines, which is significantly higher. Even if any noise filtering were necessary, the Sony would still provide a sharper image with higher quality since a reduction of resolution due to noise filtering would still leave the Sony at about 2,000 lines.

skieur

I'll throw in a vote here to go for the D40. I am a bit biased, since that's what I have, but I love the image quality and it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I can print photo quality 8x10's without any resizing at all, and I bet I could get a perfectly nice 16x20 or so with some smooth interpolation. (Haven't tried that yet though)

The D40 makes excellent 16x20's without interpolation if the images are properly exposed. You don't need 300dpi on a 16x20 because, honestly, you can't SEE a 16x20 with your nose only an inch from the print... at normal distances on normal walls, they look fantastic at 150dpi (assuming the picture is good to start with).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back