High end point and shoot question

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was driving around today and saw a great scene but didn't have my camera with me. I usually don't like to leave my SLR sitting in my truck while I do my rounds. Which got me thinking of how great a really high end P&S would be. Something with the same technology as a SLR but with only one lens. So are there any P&S with SLR type sensors? If no then why not? I'm thinking of a P&S with Leica like quality but small and unobtrusive. A great street camera of backup.

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Photos NOT OK to edit
As far as I know...there are a couple P&S style cameras with DSLR sized sensors. The first one was the Sony R1...although it's not really that small of a camera.

Leica has the M8, which is basically the evolution of their legendary M series...but (in true Leica tradition) it cost more than a small car.

There are plenty of P&S style cameras that are actually quite good...but they do have limitations. The Canon G series (currently the G9) comes to mind,

Roger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mrlowlight.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
a friend has the Ricoh Caplio 7mp I think it has and seems to produce very good quality images...or as Big Mike says the G9 and it has a lot of admirers.

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Photos OK to edit
I recently helped a friend with similar requirements... G9 is very impressive. On a budget??... look for a good G6 (skip the G7.. no raw).

M8 is definitely not the way to go unless that a rangefinder is what you truely want/need.

Most reactions

New Topics