High-key studio lighting - suggestion please!

Quassaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing an art-nude shoot with a model in a couple of weeks. We'll start off with some low-key/body-scape stuff, with which I'm comfortable.

However, the model wants me to do some mid-key and high-key stuff as well. I'm happy to make it up as I go along - for the mid-key stuff I'll start with a strip-box either side, and throw some light on to the white background, and for the high-key I'll do the same, but turn the power up!

Anyone got any other suggestions? I've got access to a good variety of strobes and modifiers, and the model is a fair-skinned blonde.

Thanks!

.. for the high-key I'll do the same, but turn the power up!
You shouldn't get to the point of over-exposure. The model can dress in white, the BG is white, but just watch the shadows so they don't go dark.

If yourb shooting area is fairly small, you might wish to use a light gray background instead of a white one.

if you put less light on the subject and more light on the background you can easily turn gray paper into light white paper without a lot of blowback which will affect your subject.

This might be a good use for a couple of large v flats. If you have four lights bounce two into the v flats at 1/2 strength and shoot the other two at full strength if you use a gray background or at 1/2 strength with a white background.

Check out Joe Edelman on YouTube for a good video detailing how to do this

There are so many ways to shoot high key. White background lit +1/2 stop over incident metered from behind the models head will blow out but not flare too much as a backlight. Then fill with on camera axis should get you there.

As @Derrel said, V-flats are super useful for high key as they provide a nice wash of light and reduce shadows.

All good points - thanks for the info everyone. I'll certainly employ some flats, and check the b/g isn't too overexposed. I've just watched a couple of Joe Edelman's videos - I like the way he says in 5 minutes what other people take half an hour to say.

58DB16EE-ECC1-4509-9DD4-CE5F14BFF20F.jpeg
58DB16EE-ECC1-4509-9DD4-CE5F14BFF20F.jpeg
4C9833A2-7685-4156-9FE5-CA76C5B06417.jpeg
I'm doing an art-nude shoot with a model in a couple of weeks. We'll start off with some low-key/body-scape stuff, with which I'm comfortable.

However, the model wants me to do some mid-key and high-key stuff as well. I'm happy to make it up as I go along - for the mid-key stuff I'll start with a strip-box either side, and throw some light on to the white background, and for the high-key I'll do the same, but turn the power up!

Anyone got any other suggestions? I've got access to a good variety of strobes and modifiers, and the model is a fair-skinned blonde.Thanks!

Q, maybe by now you’ve got your high key technique down. I don’t come in here very regularly but I think I might still be in that couple weeks window. I do a lot of white on white as well as nude high key work.
Here an a couple of examples that should be SFW.
I usually use 4 lights. Two umbrellas on the bg and two softboles/parabolic on my model. A white bg reflects back a lot of light so you have to have your model pulled well away from the bg, at least 6 feet.
i want a lot of DoF so I’m usually at f8 or smaller.
Sometimes I flag the umbrellas to avoid the blowback but usually I don’t.
If you want the bg to go paper-white just overexpose it a 1/4 to 1/2 stop.
you can’t just keep cranking up the power or you’ll overexpose your model or get to much blowback.
It’s pretty easy to do and its a really nice look. I’m glad to answer questions if you still have any.
I don’t usually get any shadows so any you see have been added or darkens in post so the model doesn’t look like she’s floating on white!
Hopefully the pics will post!!
Good luck
SS

Last edited:
View attachment 197318 View attachment 197318 View attachment 197319

Anyone got any other suggestions? I've got access to a good variety of strobes and modifiers, and the model is a fair-skinned blonde.Thanks!

Q, maybe by now you’ve got your high key technique down. I don’t come in here very regularly but I think I might still be in that couple weeks window. I do a lot of white on white as well as nude high key work.
Here an a couple of examples that should be SFW.
I usually use 4 lights. Two umbrellas on the bg and two on my model. A white bg reflects back a lot of light so you have to have your model pulled well away from the bg, at least 6 feet.
i want a lot of DoF so I’m usually at f8 or smaller.
Sometimes I flag the umbrellas to avoid the blowback but usually I don’t.
If you want the bg to go paper-white just overexpose it a 1/4 to 1/2 stop.
you can’t just keep cranking up the power or you’ll overexpose your model or get to much blowback.
It’s pretty easy to do and its a really nice look. I’m glad to answer questions if you still have any.
I don’t usually get any shadows so any you see have been added or darkens in post so the model doesn’t look like she’s floating on white!
Hopefully the pics will post!!
Good luck
SS
Nice pics. Thanks for the advice. I've done my studio session - lots of light on the white background (but not too much), and used V-flats to cast light on the model. The model's happy with the results, so it wasn't too bad, although I think next time (lockdowns permitting!) I'll cast a little bit more light on the model from the front (e.g. steal your ideas!).

Thanks again for your input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back