high key studio

riekertjoubert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new on this forum.... looks like a friendly place to get some advice.

I have been getting a lot of requests lately for high key family/lifestyle photos and portraits. Up to date I have mostly been using natural light, partly because I love the challenge, and partly because I do not have any lights of my own!

I am very lucky to have a beachfront garage (6m x 7m) with very good natural light reflecting off the white sand and sea, but I am thinking of converting it into a high key studio. It has a high ceiling, and a long driveway which could be used for standing far away with, say my Sigma 105mm macro (on a Nikon D80).

Any suggestions on where to start (everything painted white?) and what to get .....

Would really appreciate any help!!!!

Rick

Welcome to the forum.

Get a couple of cheap flashes and wireless triggers (radio or optical) to use to light the 'whitish' background and Hey-Ho! It might take a little practice to light the background evenly but all you need is a couple or three stops over what you're using on your subjects.

yeah that to mike. I do mostly boutique photos so I do a ton of high key. I used the sb-28s, cheapo triggers for the back ground and 2 studio lights w/ triggers for the subject. I also use the white board from home depot on the floor.

This shot shows my setup which is in a tiny (10x13) upstairs bedroom.
highkey.jpg

love the white board from HD idea. I like the shine it leaves on the floor.
Jodie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back