high/low key?

zoe08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photoartclub.net
For my next photo assignment we have to take high and low key pics. I know I have one male/ one female model...unfortunately my bf probably wont be here to help me early enough on friday, but I am hoping I can find another couple people, preferably another female. The models I have so far is my sis, again, and her fiance.

My first shoot is wednesday night with my sis and her fiance, I would really appreciate any ideas on poses, lighting to make the pictures more creative. I have to have at least 72 images and I feel like that will be really hard to get without them all looking the same.

Please post any ideas!! Thanks!!!

when I run low on ispiration, I do a search of portrait and model photographs. Also, personally, I tend to get the best shots when they are candid. Just have them act natural in your setting - with them goofing off, being affectionate, etc.. and shoot away..there will be tons of versatility that way.

You also might want to keep in mind a clothing change for when you switch keys. I don't know how your instructor explained it, but I've seen people interpret low and high key in different ways. Some just consider whether you use a light or dark background, but the way I learned it was that low key had the majority of the image using dark tones, not just the background. For high key, the majority of the image is light tones. For high-key, you wouldn't want a dark blue shirt and black slacks, even if you have a white background, unless you were really pulled back.

For example, this wouldn't be hight key:
RemeberingAshley.thumb.jpg

This is:
K2730.highlight.jpg

This isn't low key:
Sissa.thumb.jpg

This is:
LittleMan_BigFuture.thumb.jpg

Of course there's a lot of leeway as to where people consider the cut-off, but the majority of the image should be one way or the other.

Yes that is the way my teacher taught it, dark = low, light/bright = high.

And I told my models to bring clothes for each.

the main thing I would like some help or suggestions on is poses, espeically for males. I got an Elle mag cuz it has lots of ads, but they are all female models mostly. Someone suggested getting a GQ mag to look for poses for males, so I think i will do that tomorrow.

But still any suggestions would be very appreciated!!

Erg. I suck at posing people. Getting poses from magazines or books is a good idea. Since you have more than one person, for a more candid look you could try having them interact with each other, like a conversation or even a game of Roshambo.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back