What's new

High power zoom

Interesting. Sigma just announced an IS version of the 50-500 at PMA. This might be worth waiting for.

Sigma stabilizes 50-500mm ultra-telezoom: Digital Photography Review

F6.3 @ 500mm way too slow and i bet it is slow focus


That depends on your body. With my 7D, which performs well at higher ISO's, f/6.3 might not be so bad. Of course I'd love the Canon 500mm f/4, but that is way out of my budget and I'm going to wait and see before I forget about this one.

As for focus speed, a lot of birders use the old Bigma with good results. Songbirds are very fast moving small targets.

I've also seen some very nice surfing images taken with the non-IS Bigma (but this is a type of photography I know nothing about).
 
Kmh, how often do you guys get overhead waves in iowa? Just kiddin.
Different places in the world have different distances from the beach where the waves break. That overhead statement would be valid if every spot in the world broke at the same exact distance. It happens to be for where I live that 400 is enough. 200 from the beach has gotten me by fairly easily.
 
If you can live without zoom, sigma makes an af 400mm f5.6 that's pretty inexpensive. Keep in mind that the AF isn't likley to be very quick since it's not an afs lens.
 
Kmh, how often do you guys get overhead waves in iowa? Just kiddin.
Different places in the world have different distances from the beach where the waves break. That overhead statement would be valid if every spot in the world broke at the same exact distance. It happens to be for where I live that 400 is enough. 200 from the beach has gotten me by fairly easily.

They must be very small waves
even this was shot at 300mm very small waves
271502750_ERbbb-L.jpg
 
If you can live without zoom, sigma makes an af 400mm f5.6 that's pretty inexpensive. Keep in mind that the AF isn't likley to be very quick since it's not an afs lens.

The Canon 400 f/5.6 has a reputation for having very good AF and, in fact, it is a favorite lens for many for birds-in-flight. --- ooops NM ... you're talking the "N" word ... I don't think Sigma makes their 400 f/5.6 anymore.
 
gsgary

Different places in the world have different distances from the beach where the waves break.

Where I live the waves break close.

I wouldn't be able to shoot the kids I shoot in your situation of the photo you posted Being that close is useless with really good surfers. They are always doing big airs and sprays. I want the wave in the photo as well.
 
Kmh, how often do you guys get overhead waves in iowa? Just kiddin.
Different places in the world have different distances from the beach where the waves break. That overhead statement would be valid if every spot in the world broke at the same exact distance. It happens to be for where I live that 400 is enough. 200 from the beach has gotten me by fairly easily.
I used to live in California. Coronado specifically, and yes my point was that bigger waves break further from the beach and it doesn't take to much further to get beyond the effective reach of a 400 mm lens.

For shooting the soccer I mentioned, I use the Sigma APO 150-500 mm (with OS) and in daylight the f/6.3 is not a drawback for me, particularly when the price of the lens is considered.
 
If you can live without zoom, sigma makes an af 400mm f5.6 that's pretty inexpensive. Keep in mind that the AF isn't likley to be very quick since it's not an afs lens.

The Canon 400 f/5.6 has a reputation for having very good AF and, in fact, it is a favorite lens for many for birds-in-flight. --- ooops NM ... you're talking the "N" word ... I don't think Sigma makes their 400 f/5.6 anymore.

yeah, and for $1400 you can buy that lens for your canon, or you can buy the sigma used for around $300. ;)
 
If you can live without zoom, sigma makes an af 400mm f5.6 that's pretty inexpensive. Keep in mind that the AF isn't likley to be very quick since it's not an afs lens.

The Canon 400 f/5.6 has a reputation for having very good AF and, in fact, it is a favorite lens for many for birds-in-flight. --- ooops NM ... you're talking the "N" word ... I don't think Sigma makes their 400 f/5.6 anymore.

yeah, and for $1400 you can buy that lens for your canon, or you can buy the sigma used for around $300. ;)

Well, the old Sigma won't autofocus on Canon EOS, so it's a no-go for me.
 
has anyone heard anything else about the replacement for the 80-400vr?

The waves are coming and I still haven't gotten a lens or a tele.

I upgraded to a D3 so I dont have the crop factor anymore!
 
has anyone heard anything else about the replacement for the 80-400vr?

The waves are coming and I still haven't gotten a lens or a tele.

I upgraded to a D3 so I dont have the crop factor anymore!

Well if you have a D3 you should be looking at a 400mmF2.8 or 600F4
 
I'll just get one of each! lol I wish. I am going to have to wait a bit before I can get either of those lenses. I just need something thats not more than 2 grand for a temporary lens until I have enough for the 400 or 600. I dont like telephoto primes but they preform.
 
I'll just get one of each! lol I wish. I am going to have to wait a bit before I can get either of those lenses. I just need something thats not more than 2 grand for a temporary lens until I have enough for the 400 or 600. I dont like telephoto primes but they preform.


I went the other way, i bought a 300F2.8L to use on my 1Dmk1 before i upgraded to a 1Dmk2, lenses are more important to me than the body
 
same here. but being 19 a 10,000 dollar lens isn't at the top of my list of money priorities. One day hopefully its on my list.

any word on that new 80-400?
 
same here. but being 19 a 10,000 dollar lens isn't at the top of my list of money priorities. One day hopefully its on my list.

any word on that new 80-400?


You could have bought a good lens for the price of a D3, the trouble you have now is you have the body but not the money to get the lens you need
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom