High power zoom

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a lens that goes up to about the 400mm range. The Nikon 200-400mm is just a little out of my price range. I am going to use this lens for surf photography. So which of all these lenses besides the Nikon is overall the best. Lens quality quick AF etc. This is the only time I wish I went canon :twoface:

Thanks!

EDIT: I am also very interested in a teleconverter instead. I have a Nikon 80-200 AF-s

how does it work with my lens?

Just clip it on, and it adds 1.4 or 1.7 or 2 (depending on which one you buy) to the focal length.

The 200 - 400 from what I have heard doesn't work well with TCs, so I wouldn't recommend it. Its also very heavy.

Try looking at something else like the 300 its cheaper than the 200 -400 works well with TCs and is lighter.

Nikon currently has the 80-400mm VR lens, which is widely believed to be near replacement; a new VR-equipped, long Nikon tele-zoom has ha d a US Patent filed,and I have seen the patent myself. The US Patent process does not require the exact or specific focal length of a lens to be specified; the lens "design" is what is patented, and not its exacgt focal lengths, which allows a lens "design" to be scaled down or upward, for differing film formats. THe Nikon 80-400VR's replacement model is thought to be,by various people, a 100-500 or a 120-450mm, something like that. It could be here this year, and if so, there ought to be tens of thousands of 80-400VR's hitting the used market.

Sigma currently has the 80-400 OS stabiized lens, and Tamron has the 200-500 which has been on the market for a number of years. Sigma has the venerable 50-500, which has had a much better reputation for not breaking down, as compared with the new SIgma 150-500 OS, according to the lensrentals.com breakdown statistics.

I don't know, but about as "good" I assume. Expect some poor bokeh, though. See above.

The 200 - 400 from what I have heard doesn't work well with TCs, so I wouldn't recommend it. Its also very heavy.

If it does or doesn't work well with TCs all depends on your standards. Some examples with the 1.4 & 1.7x TCs:

Nikon 200-400 F4 - FM Forums

With the 1.4 TC at 550mm:

Preening%20series%20Egret4.JPG

Its also very heavy.
It's lighter than the 500 f/4 and I don't consider that lens to be "very heavy." It depends on what you're used to, I guess.

okay lets start over.

I have a nikon 80-200 af-s. Would it be smarter for me just to get this teleconverter than a hole other huge lens
AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III from Nikon

No 2x extender are rubish on zoom lenses, what body are you using ?, I shoot surf now and again with a 300mmF2.8L with a 2x extender, if i was shooting at full time i would be using a 600mmF4L, when shooting sports like surf it does not come cheap most beaches 400mm is not enough
Here's a few with 300mmF2.8L + 2x
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Surf-Comp/Image00024/399344434_LM9gR-L.jpg

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Surfing-in-St-Ives/Image00043/270888696_WgcaH-L.jpg

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Surf-at-Gwithian/BE0C0003/269986956_zRkzA-L.jpg

I am using a Nikon D300. DO you have any personal experience with the TC i listed? or know anything about it?

You might look into this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-150-500mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001542X64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266860932&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

hmm the faster the lens i can get the better. how is that sigma compared to the Nikon 80-400?

If i got the teleconverter I lose two stops correct?

hmm the faster the lens i can get the better. how is that sigma compared to the Nikon 80-400?

If i got the teleconverter I lose two stops correct?

Depending on which one you got, the 1.4 is 1 stop and the 2 is 2 stops.

I am going to use this lens for surf photography.
Are you shooting from the beach or the water?

400 mm is pretty short for shooting from the beach, unless it's a shore break. I'm guessing you don't get much overhead surf there? ;)

For me, using a 500 mm is just enough to shoot the length of a soccer field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back