Higher Shutter Speed?

Vegasvec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was taking one picutre after another of my dog just hanging out. And I have a few pictures where he is moving and it is blurry, like the one embeded here. I was on a really large apeture, maybe 5.6. But I was using the "A" aperture priority setting on my camera. So I don't know what the camera automatic shutter speed was.

Any recommondations how I could have had a better picture come out? I notice that if I go to Manual mode or try and have a high shutter speed and high apeture, the pictures come out too dark...

Thanks!

FYI, I am using a Nikon D5000.

Attachments

• $DSC_0099.JPG
    $DSC_0099.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 99
large aperture, higher iso, fast shutter speed. try using the Sport Mode on the camera. it works very well imo. but if you do, it will automatically set the iso to 1600 i think. so lower it to about 640 - 800

Sport mode does the job, I always use it while I'm in the car, and I see nice car drive by and I take a quick snap

You need a faster shutter speed.

According to exif info embedded in the image your shutter speed was 1/8 of a second. The ISO was at 800. This room may have been lit to human eyes, but to the camera it was probably pretty dim.

You need a flash for this situation to freeze the subject. Your shutter speed needs to be roughly 1/60-1/125 and up to start stopping movement in people and animals. Upward from there for "action" shots.

How much shutter speed you need depends on the direction of the motion relative to the plane of the image sensor.

Motion parallel to the plane of the image sensor requires more shutter speed to stop than does motion perpendiular to the plane of the image sensor.

To stop all of the motion of a person (arms/legs) walking parallel to the image sensor you need about 1/125.

To stop that same person walking towards the camera (perpendicular to the image sensor) it would take something in between would only take about 1/30.

If they were walking at a diagonal to the plane of the image sensor it would take something in between those extremes.

By using automatic or semi-automatic settings on your camera you are giving up a measure of control and letting the camera make decisions for you.

Don't be surprised when the camera makes decisions that doesn't result in images that come close to your expectations.

Myfotoguy - how did you see the embedded info in the image? I typically only see it when looking at the picture in playback mode on the camera.

According to exif info embedded in the image your shutter speed was 1/8 of a second. The ISO was at 800. This room may have been lit to human eyes, but to the camera it was probably pretty dim.

You need a flash for this situation to freeze the subject. Your shutter speed needs to be roughly 1/60-1/125 and up to start stopping movement in people and animals. Upward from there for "action" shots.

its hard to have a fast enough shutter speed inside without flash. You will more than likely need a flash, or ALOT of lighting.

In order for a photo to come out correctly you need the correct amount of light. Light is controlled by the photographer by ISO, shutter speed and aperture. KmH gave the technical way to acheive a sharp photo (I've read about it but haven't tried it) and blurred movement is controlled by shutter speed as was said. If you are using a high focal length lens and a slower shutter speed than 1/focal length you may get blurry photos but I guess the image stabilzation part of the lens will help (I'm not up on that yet).

When shooting at a higher shutter speed and you need light there's a few ways to do it - open up aperture until you can't anymore, raise the ISO or if close enough add your own light (flash) or a combo of all 3. If it doesn't come out then there wasn't enough light to take the photo from where you were positioned. Speaking of flash a camera has a finite fastest shutter speed for flash to work correctly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back