Highschool Film Class

djacobox372 said:
Why are u teaching film in high school? What a waste of tax dollars. And that's from a film shooter.

Go digital and teach some skills that are applicable to modern professional life.

"Stay off my lawn you derned kids!"

I will let others give reasons why. I hate typing out long paragraphs on my phone.

The materials don't matter as much as helping kids learn concepts, think creatively, develop problem solving skills, etc. so they can go beyond specific techniques and learn how to figure things out. It's not so much about preparing them to be photographers as to help them develop skills toward being better able to have a productive and fulfilling future.

It's because she is teaching it the correct way, and is why she is a teacher and others are not. And that is coming from someone that has "shot" digital for 30 years. It was infrared, but the prinicples are still the same. Although you don't need liquid nitrogen anymore.

For the OP: list some of the types of cameras that you are looking for. If you do not mind those with Autofocus, I and others probably have too many sitting around.

I saw a Canon F1 with a 50/1.8 lens, user condition, for $65 at a camera show today. At those kinds of prices, hard to justify spending over $100 fixing a Pentax K-1000.

I have a Nikon N70 that mostly sits. Also have a fixed-lens RF that could be used. When I shoot film, it is with a manual camera. Let us know what you are looking for.

Last edited:
shopgoodwill.com

Why are u teaching film in high school? What a waste of tax dollars. And that's from a film shooter.

Go digital and teach some skills that are applicable to modern professional life.

I wish we could go digital for the intro students, I agree more economic, but the problem is we have little to NO technology in my building so we have no computers or resources to do so and to get it started costs a lot of money. Trust me I've been pushing it and pushing it since I started here! I love film and think my advanced kids could continue (as i have maybe 3 students per year advanced). Know of any free computers and digital cameras??? haha ;)

It's because she is teaching it the correct way, and is why she is a teacher and others are not. And that is coming from someone that has "shot" digital for 30 years. It was infrared, but the prinicples are still the same. Although you don't need liquid nitrogen anymore.

For the OP: list some of the types of cameras that you are looking for. If you do not mind those with Autofocus, I and others probably have too many sitting around.

I saw a Canon F1 with a 50/1.8 lens, user condition, for $65 at a camera show today. At those kinds of prices, hard to justify spending over $100 fixing a Pentax K-1000.

I have a Nikon N70 that mostly sits. Also have a fixed-lens RF that could be used. When I shoot film, it is with a manual camera. Let us know what you are looking for.

Thanks! I agree you only learn the concepts in film. But it sure is stressful trying to keep up with failing equipment!!! I can use ANY camera as long as it allows for manual shutter settings and manual aperture settings. I have TONS of lenses (not sure how many work) Right now I've kept my buying to Canons with a digital screen, like the rebels and so forth. But I would be willing to take anything that works for the right price. I've only stayed canon because that is what I shoot with and it's simpler if they are all generally the same.

Where are these camera shows?! I'd love to go to them and try to find deals. As my own camera is now broken also (my fault for lending it out to students trying to make up for other camera loses :( )

The materials don't matter as much as helping kids learn concepts, think creatively, develop problem solving skills, etc. so they can go beyond specific techniques and learn how to figure things out. It's not so much about preparing them to be photographers as to help them develop skills toward being better able to have a productive and fulfilling future.

I also agree, but it's very hard to learn some of the concepts with out having something to physically work with, especially in photography. :(

I googled and found that the Mid-America Camera Show is going to be in St. Louis Missouri on March 17th.
Not sure if it is new or old stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back