highspeed photography with an audio trigger

iamsneaky13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing a project trying to emulate doc edgerton's highspeed shots(not his stroboscopic ones). I am just wondering if you guy have ever heard of/ or have experience with this product. High Speed Photography

I am unsure if it is reliable, or worth the money, so i am interested to hear your thoughts. If you guys have any other suggestions than let me know.

Thanks in advance!

I would be interested in seeing your results.

My brain tells me that, in the case of trying to catch some of the "bullet hitting stuff" pics, that a sound trigger might not be the way to go.

My brain is frequently wrong.

Assuming you're referencing the Edgerton bullet pics..... depending on the placement of the camera and the rifle used, by the time the report from the gunshot reaches the "sound trigger", the projectile might be long gone. The speed of sound is 1128 FPS (give or take, depending on elevation) and the speed of many standard rifle projectiles is more than double that at the muzzle and in many cases much faster.

If you knew someone who is a total rockstar in reloading ammunition you could more than likely get some rounds custom tailored to your setup to match the speed of sound, or get as close as possible to acheive the deisred results Depending on the firearm, projectile, caliber, etc. etc. etc........

Also, something to think about...... handguns offer many more alternatives to safely match the speed of sound than rifles do........

Sorry.... I got off on a little tangent..... I love it when hobbies overlap.

Again, I would be very, VERY interested in seeing your results.

interesting comments guys.
stradawhovios- you can indeed capture a bullet with a sound trigger. you don't actually capture the sound of the bullet, but of it hitting the object. most people choose to us laser/ir triggers for bullets though because the timing is more precise.

gsgary- interesting link! i really love the videos of the paint.

overread- i have seen that but it is a little out of my price range.

i ordered the item from my link, and since there is so little info about it i will just have to wait and see.

Most reactions

Back