Hill Walking in the highlands

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
paddyfeet.jpg

i may well have posted this before but not sure. along with the london eye post it's about a year old. stopped to eat some food at the top of a mountain/hill. sadly there are no subways in the scottish highlands

Nikon F80, Sigma 28/200, Fuji Realia 100

So what were you trying to do in this picture?
Before anyone jumps in with an 'it's obvious' comment, I will explain.
When you take a picture an intention is there, whether you are conciously aware of it or not. The 'art' of Photography is to understand yourself and what it is about a scene that captures your attention.
Once you have a rough idea (you don't need to put it into words) then you think 'how can I convey this to someone else?'
Being there, you have experienced all that went on before and led up to that shot. All your other senses were engaged too, and you are aware of all that is going on outside of frame as well.
You see the image. It sums up all your experiences to that point. When you look at the picture later all those memories come flooding back and you project them on to the image.
The problem is that the rest of us were not there. We do not have your memories. All we have is what you give us in the image.
It therefore becomes important that if you want to share what you felt, then you have to think about what you are doing.
In this image there is no real focus.
Is it the grass and moss in the foreground?
Is it the tips of the walking sticks?
Is it the boots?
Is it the moss and grass on the soles of the boots?
We do not know what your intention is - and so our eye constantly wanders up to the flash of unfocussed red at the top.
You need to sort out in your mind what it is you want us to experience and then help us to experience it.
What I am pointing out is the difference between a picture that communicates something definite to the viewer, and a snapshot that really only communicates with you.

The splash of red near the top is distracting. There may also be too much light space, and overall unused space near the top. I think these issues could be taken care of with some cropping. My flavor would be to do it right below the red hanky.

It seems to me that the boot treads filled with bits of landscape are the main focus point. They are underlined by a row of yellow and white dots (the pole ends). It's even bent, and pointing up into the image. All other lines from the poles, the land, and the legs lead right back to the boots. They are the darkest shape in an overall light image.

This image doesn't tell the story of the whole day, but I think it works well as a detail. We know it's a hiker because of the gear. Without the poles it could be a workman, a gardener, etc... It shows us a little of the landscape, and it shows the main connection between the hiker and the landscape, their boots, and the evidence that the boots have been in use. It would be wonderful displayed with landscape shots taken on this hike.

ksmattfish said:
This image doesn't tell the story of the whole day, but I think it works well as a detail.
My point exactly. It does not stand up on it's own but we require more information.
The idea is basically sound - and a good one - but it needs a little more thought about the intention which can then be put into the image to make it work for us.

can i ask what part of scotland these pics were taken?

just out of intrest

I think the cropped image is a marked improvement; Matt was correct that you now have a point of focus here - the boots. There is no more distracting spot of red or empty space to drag the eyes around looking for the subject. The image is also stronger shown in tandem with the landscape shots. :thumbup:

The light in the second landscape shot is spectacular, btw - it's a pretty basic image, but I still am drawn in enough to want to be in the picture. ;)

Keep it as a series; nice job. :D

i stayed in the infamous tom mclean's (ex SAS soldier) activity camp which really is the definition of the middle of nowhere. it's on the coast near malaig (north west scotland) just across the water from the isle of skye.

glad i improved the image!

The crop works very well, I really like those shots you posted later also. If there is a doubt on a picture, look to Hertz. That cat knows what is what.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back