Hobbyist photographer wanting to go beyond the "hobbyist" status

First off, I will apologize for the put up or shutup comment. It was immature .

Now to respond. Of course there were good photographers before digital, but it is important to compare the results. 40 Years ago, a wedding album consisted of about 30 recreated or staged shots. Today, the client is delivered close to 500. The standards have changed, and it is not because the photographer has gotten better. In many cases the photographer is worse, but the equipment is much better. We take shots now that would have been impossible before and it isn't because our skills are superior to our predecessors.
The gear we have available today gives us a huge edge and it is silly to not acknowledge that.

Last edited:
It is both the equipment and the brain. I know I am arrive reflectors or fill flash and it is nit on the camera. You are limited with a P&S but as long as you know the limitations and work within them you can take fine shots to pist on th internet. The OP migh look at getting some post software too. That makes a huge difference as well. Why, is you can shoot raw have more latitude if her camera records in raw. I know my S90 and P7000 do though mainly I keep them in jpg unless I know I will have an issue. For shooting toddlers and sports you are going to have a tough time and forget BIF. But learn your camera, post on critique sites and ask for them. Read how to use the manual setting and then practice. For instance, set someone in front of a window and figure out how to get the shot you see. You will have to spot meter or adjust or fill flash but learn what each des and what it looks like.

Most reactions

Back