Holy Distortion!

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so Ive been running about testing out my Nikkor 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 ED IF AF-S DX lens against the Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 EX DC lens. Well, these intrigued me:

Only thing done to them was convertification from RAW.

Settings for both are as follows:
18mm
F/4
1/1600s
ISO200

DSC_1819.jpg

DSC_1820.jpg

More to come.

Mark

Last edited:
DSC_1832.jpg

DSC_1837.jpg

18mm
F/8
1/500s
ISO200

This one has the slightest difference so far. You can notice if you pull the photo up large, though by the slight bow of where the roof of the porch meets the front wall and in the middle of the frame between the windows.

Mark

Well, thats really about it. But I was shocked to see these results!

Mark

Since you don't mention which image is taken with which lens.....

The bottom images are underexposed, all things being equal.

However, the lens in the top image of post #5 handles the specular highlights better.

OH! Sorry about that. The photos on top are the Nikon, Sigma on the bottom. These tests ended up being mainly for distortion, as I figured that I am going to need to do some studio-type shots to really test sharpness. I was just surprised how much better the Sigma did with distortion.

Mark

It's got a lower zoom range and more glass to work with. The Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 has next to no distortion either.

Not that it matters really, just open the image in Adobe CameraRAW, or Lightroom or something that supports profile based corrections and click on the lens correction button. Better yet it'll fix vignetting problems too.

All this was to decide which to keep, if get rid of one at all. Thanks.

Mark

Side note, your backyard looks like the backyard from War of the Worlds ( tom cruise )

Thats not my backyard. Thats a house thats been up for sale for over two years. Someone tore the insides to shreds basically, and that is the renovation efforts so far.

:thumbsup:
Mark

Not mine to sell. :) Just a house in the neighborhood I knew no one would be offended because I took pictures of it. It had great straight lines, too. So that helped.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back