Holy Tax Return Batman!

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
:mrgreen:

indextop20060214.jpg

No, but it looks like that might be my investment. That or an upgraded camera and a basic pc laptop.

The new Macs have the intel chip in them. Running PC apps is just around the corner. I'd go with the upgraded camera and the Mac. Just work some overtime.

I would be tempted by this mac.... its awsome... but it is alot of camera lens's worth. It would be lightning fast with ps tho.... those dells we were discussing the other day.... i looked into to it more.... and found that although they will probably run ps (even tho they dont meeet the min spec of cs2) they would be slow, which would eventually lead you to want to throw out the window, when it takes a half hour to process a filter. So i'm having second thoughts about cheeper laptops, although a mid range one (like your bosses ;) ) should be good.... so maybe spread your cash between the two but dont compromise too much on quality.

I'll make this easy. You are into the TV show "24".

What would Agent Jack Bauer do? Would he buy some run of the mill PC or a tricked out Mac? He does not need some upgraded camera or a new lens when he's running around saving the world. He needs a dependable laptop like the new Mac to connect with everyone.

Let me know how you like the Mac because I'm thinking about upgrading myself.

^lol. nice parallel there.

mac vs. pc is a really fun debate because it's pretty much just held by fanatics of both sides, usually (but not always) ones that don't really know a whole lot. well, neither do i :D. I just know a little. I do know that hertz for hertz, byte for byte, the new macs should run identically fast to their pc counterparts. the new macs use the intel core duo chip, do they not? i know those are used in quite a few new PC laptops (I have an aquaintance or two that have them), and they are quite fast processors (at least from the tests my 'friends' have done using the 2ghz one), especially for just straight calculations (word processing, working with files, etc.). For heavy-duty cpu loads like gaming and video stuff it is still good, but it doesnt shine quite as bright as expected if you know what I mean. the whole 'mac' thing now a days is mainly just about the OS, which is also a big debate...OS X tiger is more stable than windows, but not by much since more and more viruses are being created to corrupt it, especially when its parts are PC parts. That's a great laptop though, i'd say go for it if you know you'll use it to it's full extent. if you dont need the speed and just want it for looks (which is understandable :)) then go for the camera upgrade and a slightly lower end laptop.

I bought a very good notebook a few years ago, its now a paperweight until I reinstall the os and use it for simple things like the internet. Looking back I should have bought a descent $1000 desktop for each of the next 3 years in a row with the money I spent on the notebook, and then with the money I got from selling the 1 year old desktops, get another new desktop a 4th and possibly 5th year.

Assuming you mostly plan to do graphics and video type stuff on it, Id recommend getting a desktop. Do you really plan to do this stuff at the coffee shop or someplace that requires portability? The lack of wires is nice though, but desktops are easier to upgrade later, and cheaper.

fredcwdoc said:
The new Macs have the intel chip in them. Running PC apps is just around the corner. I'd go with the upgraded camera and the Mac. Just work some overtime.
It's already here ;-)

The macbooks are sweet. I would want one so bad if I didn't already have a powerbook. The only downside is that certain apps, including Photoshop, haven't yet been updated to run natively on the intel chips, which means a performance hit. But that's only a temporary thing; the next version of PS (CS3) will work at full dual-core intel speed. :) In the meantime, I suppose it's possible to boot the windows version of PS and run it there. But yeah, the macbooks are sweet. I would recommend one of those over the camera.

Unimaxium said:
It's already here ;-)

The macbooks are sweet. I would want one so bad if I didn't already have a powerbook. The only downside is that certain apps, including Photoshop, haven't yet been updated to run natively on the intel chips, which means a performance hit. But that's only a temporary thing; the next version of PS (CS3) will work at full dual-core intel speed. :) In the meantime, I suppose it's possible to boot the windows version of PS and run it there. But yeah, the macbooks are sweet. I would recommend one of those over the camera.

oh that's good to hear. i'm so sick of seeing that CS2 is only taking advantage of 50% of the processor :grumpy:

It's sooo pretty!

Upon further talks with my Chinese friend it seems it might not be the wisest choice. Maybe I'll just get a nicer Dell.

My reasons for getting a laptop aren't really for major processing anyway. I just want something I can travel with, and potentially do some work on location. It's always nice to have something else to look at your pictures before you leave to edit them.

Plus after going to a local school to see a good friends graduating photography showing, I might even need it for school???

Most reactions

Back