105 MP on a CELL phone?!!

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
went looking at new Samsung phones at Best Buy.
There is a model with 105 MP! Is that the same quality we look at in Nikons etc?
Holy smokes Batman!

Does that mean I could blow up a photo taken on that phone, into a 4' X 6' enlargement ( or more) and have exceptional quality ?
Wow..

Poss. But likely not.

Mp isnt the driving factor to IQ.

Does that mean I could blow up a photo taken on that phone, into a 4' X 6' enlargement ( or more) and have exceptional quality ?

yes, you can print at 4x6 ft based on the resolution, but no, you won't have exceptional quality. keep in mind the sensor size they're using. they've increased it to a whole inch, however that's still smaller than a full frame sensor. 60 mp on a full frame sensor is incredibly noisy. more megapixels = more noise. to combat noise they're going to have to use a lot of noise reduction which will likely degrade details and lead to issues with image quality.

Hope your Samsung experience is better than ours. After 4yrs of great service with the S6, my wife's phone bit the dust. We upgraded last fall to the S20 5G, as a pocket wiz it does all these cool things, including taking images, but as a phone it sucks. The internal Mic cuts out frequently during a call, it's worse on speaker phone. Countless hours on the phone with tech support, they get things working for a few weeks, then it starts again. Took them to a Samsung repair shop last week, rather than repair, they suggested calling Samsung for warranty replacement, of the phone. I guess I'm old school, but for me the primary function of a cell phone should be to make and receive phone calls.

Hope your Samsung experience is better than ours. After 4yrs of great service with the S6, my wife's phone bit the dust. We upgraded last fall to the S20 5G, as a pocket wiz it does all these cool things, including taking images, but as a phone it sucks. The internal Mic cuts out frequently during a call, it's worse on speaker phone. Countless hours on the phone with tech support, they get things working for a few weeks, then it starts again. Took them to a Samsung repair shop last week, rather than repair, they suggested calling Samsung for warranty replacement, of the phone. I guess I'm old school, but for me the primary function of a cell phone should be to make and receive phone calls.

I have that issue with my A50, I just deal with it now. My previous one did it to, S something or another. I hate cell phones for the most part.

@smoke665 sorry to hear of phone issues. It does sound like you got a bad phone and happy they will replace it.
We haven't had any problems with the phone portion of ours.

@jcdeboever it almost has to be a Mic problem. If I plug in the headset w/Mic everything is perfect or if I'm connected to Bluetooth in car it's perfect.

@NancyMoranG we don't have replacements yet. The trip to the repair shop was per Samsung. We haven't been back to them on the replacement. Travelling for a few days so will cross that bridge when we get back.

we don't have replacements yet. The trip to the repair shop was per Samsung. We haven't been back to them on the replacement. Travelling for a few days so will cross that bridge when we get back.
this back and forth customer service bs and all of the bloatware samsung puts on the phones is why we switched to the pixel. i much prefer to have to download so called standard apps like facebook than have to delete a preloaded app i don't use off of the phone.

I mean with all due respect.

i still get far better pics with my old 6mp 9micro inch fat pixel Med. format than with my 18 Mp 70D.

If you get it let us know. There is a reason that Canon's flagship is 20 mp. I'm sure that number sells phones but people use their phones in low light situations and noise increases with MP.... just try telling that to the consumer. There have been stunning improvements in signal to noise, but 105? And the "glass" in front of it can't compare to a "real" lens.

If you get it let us know. There is a reason that Canon's flagship is 20 mp. I'm sure that number sells phones but people use their phones in low light situations and noise increases with MP.... just try telling that to the consumer. There have been stunning improvements in signal to noise, but 105? And the "glass" in front of it can't compare to a "real" lens.
There is the aspect of actual format size and the ability to record data without massive distortion.
Multiple lenses perhaps and that's how they are getting away with teh 105 Mp count.

But all in all you can have a 2 gigtillion Mp sensor, but if its only a 1.1:7 sensor size (which is micro format BTW) then the actual amount of detail is highly limited.

But all in all you can have a 2 gigtillion Mp sensor, but if its only a 1.1:7 sensor size (which is micro format BTW) then the actual amount of detail is highly limited.

i think they're using a 1" sensor, though that's still only the size of the sensor in my 12mp mavic 2 pro. the mavic 2 pro images are pretty noisy at higher isos.

i think they're using a 1" sensor, though that's still only the size of the sensor in my 12mp mavic 2 pro. the mavic 2 pro images are pretty noisy at higher isos.
Even so, the core of it falls to format size.

An old argument for sure, but even a 1 inch sensor is larger than a 1.1;7 or any other of the cell phone sensors.

Even so, the core of it falls to format size.

An old argument for sure, but even a 1 inch sensor is larger than a 1.1;7 or any other of the cell phone sensors.

absolutely agree, you can't do anything to stretch the actual sensor size. at 1" or even if they managed to cram an aps-c size sensor in a phone, it's still too small of a sensor for that many mp.

Most reactions

Back