Home Design Software for Mac

cwcaesar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for some home design software for Mac. I don't want to spend more than a couple hundred at the very most, but free would be awesome. I want something that is easy to learn and use. I just want to be able to map out how I want the new house to be built. Perhaps some 3D rendering would be cool too. Ideally, I would love to be able to plot the terrain; as the lot where we are building has a gentle slope to it.

I was really interested in the Punch! software, it is rated highly by some sites, but on the Mac App Store, it is only 1.5 out of 5 stars. Anyone with experience with this software?

All ideas are welcome! Thanks!!!!

After considerable thought, I ended up getting TurboCad Mac Pro. Mostly because I was using a 3-D soft are in my previous career, and I didn't want some cookie-cutter "floor plan" software. There is a learning curve, of course, and the cost is several hundred dollars, so you will want to look at the medium-priced packages.

If you don't need the 3-D rendering capability, just get a 2-D software and have fun with it. If you are going through a builder who knows what he is doing, he won't need the 3-D to build it.

I will caution you to be mindful of the way floors fit on top of one another, and things like stairs etc. need to line up, and be sure to include space for mechanicals. Even some architects forget about real space requirements, so I'm not picking on you.

Here's one for $50:

Amazon.com: Nova Development US HGTV Home Design for Mac: Software

This one is free:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25806/sweet-home-3d

Have fun with it!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
After considerable thought, I ended up getting TurboCad Mac Pro. Mostly because I was using a 3-D soft are in my previous career, and I didn't want some cookie-cutter "floor plan" software. There is a learning curve, of course, and the cost is several hundred dollars, so you will want to look at the medium-priced packages.

If you don't need the 3-D rendering capability, just get a 2-D software and have fun with it. If you are going through a builder who knows what he is doing, he won't need the 3-D to build it.

I will caution you to be mindful of the way floors fit on top of one another, and things like stairs etc. need to line up, and be sure to include space for mechanicals. Even some architects forget about real space requirements, so I'm not picking on you.

Here's one for $50:

Amazon.com: Nova Development US HGTV Home Design for Mac: Software

This one is free:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25806/sweet-home-3d

Have fun with it!

Thanks,
I think that the TurboCAD 2D/3D for $130 looks more appealing than the Pro at $500. Is there something that I would be missing out on with the lower package? Would I be able to produce full blueprints with either one?

My need for the 3D rendering stems not from a need for the builder to see it, but from a need to display it for my wife. She has a more difficult time seeing things spatially the way that I do. And I want her to be completely happy with the house BEFORE we start to break ground.

Thanks for the tips on the Mech room and stairs, etc. I already have this stuff on my checksheet, but I appreciate you looking out!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back