Home improvement question

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I recently bought my first house and have been busy getting things to our liking. It's a classic, modest home built in 1942 with a lot of midcentury charm we're keeping, so the bead board backsplash in the kitchen is staying, just with a coat of bright red paint and a few coats of gloss poly.

However, we would like to install a stainless backsplash behind the range so it's easier to clean up grease and splatter, and I'd like to do this the "right way" by removing the backsplash in this area so that it sits flush. I don't want to remove the entire existing backsplash, so I am thinking I'd take a 5" cordless circular saw, set the cut depth to 1/4" and cut the beadboard section while it's still attached to the wall, then remove only the offending section behind the stove.

Is this the right tool for this job?

No to the circular saw. You can't get the blade all the way to the end of the cut. Get a Fein Multimaster.

296633_7_pset72297261__ofc.jpg

Agree, circ saw will disappoint. Use either a saws all (reciprocating saw) or one of those vibrating jobs like above.

Or go old school and use a hand saw.

I’m worried about cutting into the wall if I don’t have a way to set the cutting depth? Maybe I don’t need to be…

i do have clearance though, the beadboard sits about 2 feet above the floor and it doesn’t sit behind the range hood, which is going to be removed and replaced as well.

Well. I got both.

I'll need a circular saw elsewhere, and I picked up vibration saw because you can't have too many power tools.

Thanks guys.

@480sparky and others - thank you for your help. I did get an oscillating tool (Makita, because that's how I roll). I was able to feel the plaster, so that wasn't an issue aside from destroying my blade by the time I was done.

I think it turned out pretty well :)

Still need to work out some kind of trim.

Attachments

• Image_20210711_091043.jpeg
    Image_20210711_091043.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
This budget set will make any homeowner proud:

or step up:

@480sparky and others - thank you for your help. I did get an oscillating tool (Makita, because that's how I roll). I was able to feel the plaster, so that wasn't an issue aside from destroying my blade by the time I was done.

I think it turned out pretty well :)

Still need to work out some kind of trim.
Looks good.

Most reactions

Back